Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by chee wu <ch...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/04 14:58:49 UTC

Any successful experiences for text classification ?

Hi,
  I am trying to divide all the web pages crawled to predefined categories,does anybody  have successfully fulfilled  classification based on Nutch? I did find some threads talking about this,but none of them are clear enough. Below are some possible solutions mentioned in the past threads :
  1. Using SVM-Light, but it seems a C based program ?
  2. Can I fulfill this based on Carrot2?
  3. Other open source software packages like Rainbow or IBM UIMA ?
I want to do a deeper research on the three options above,which one should I study first? Any other hints or experiences also are welcome!

Thanks
-Chee

Re: Any successful experiences for text classification ?

Posted by chee wu <ch...@gmail.com>.
I am trying to perform classification for web pages in Chinese.
Thank you Ashish. Yes, LibSVM might satisfy my requirement...I am also considering using LingPipe
http://alias-i.com/lingpipe/demos/tutorial/classify/read-me.html
It seems LingPipe can categorize the Chinese documents without word segmentations.any one has tried this?
I'll write a index filter based on LingPipe..

Posted by Shay Lawless <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chee,

Posted by kauu <ba...@gmail.com>.
that's right, carrot2 just used to clustering documents, but not to classify
them.

--
www.babatu.com

Re: Any successful experiences for text classification ?

Posted by Stanislaw Osinski <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by kauu <ba...@gmail.com>.
hi chee wu :

--
www.babatu.com

Re: Any successful experiences for text classification ?

Posted by The Golden Condor ! <tg...@gmail.com>.
On 2/5/07, Vlador <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've seen a lot of discussions about implementing the above mentioned
> algorithm (SVM) , however i couldn't find any live examples designed for
> multi-classification tasks in which you have to classify the document
> between one of 10000+ classification categories.
> It seems impossible to me.

You should use heirarchical classification for that many classes. but
even then, you'd need way too many classifiers.

TAA

RE: Any successful experiences for text classification ?

Posted by Vlador <te...@gmail.com>.