Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2013/08/01 22:53:36 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC1

The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.0 release candidate 1 is now available
for voting.

Given this is a release candidate I am working on the basis that it is
equivalent to an alpha. That said:
- Servlet 3.1 is complete
- JSP 2.3 is complete
- EL 3.0 is complete
- WebSocket 1.0 is complete
- DBCP2 is working but in a state of flux but the early stages of JMX
  monitoring are available

It can be obtained from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.0-RC1/
The Maven staging repo is:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-048/
The svn tag is:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_0_RC1/

The proposed 8.0.0-RC1 release is:
[ ] Broken - do not release
[ ] Alpha - go ahead and release as 8.0.0-RC1 alpha

Cheers,

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC1

Posted by Nick Williams <ni...@nicholaswilliams.net>.
On Aug 1, 2013, at 3:53 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:

> The proposed 8.0.0-RC1 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [ X] Alpha - go ahead and release as 8.0.0-RC1 alpha

(Non-binding)

Tested the .zip distribution on Windows 7 SP1 64-bit. Everything seems to be functioning properly.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC1

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC1

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 06/08/2013 11:22, Ognjen Blagojevic wrote:
> Mark,
>
> On 5.8.2013 22:56, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> The site has been updated with the various parts required for a new
>> major release (security, migration, download, docs, navigation, which
>> version etc.) but I haven't posted the release announcement yet to give
>> the remaining mirrors time to sync up.
>
> Great job.
>
> BTW, on Tomcat 8 migration guide [1] there is a broken link to resources
> documentation [2]. I guess, the right URL is:
>
>   http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/config/resources.html

Thanks. fixed.

Posted by Nick Williams <ni...@nicholaswilliams.net>.
On Aug 6, 2013, at 9:53 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:

> On 06/08/2013 16:30, Nick Williams wrote:

>>> Fixed. Having implemented the thing, you'd think I could get the version
>>> number right...
>>
>> Hah. We all do it on occasion...

>>> It should say 8 only. That has been fixed as well.
>>
>> Well that stinks. I was hoping for an easy tool to actually compare Tomcat 7 and Tomcat 8 configuration files. Guess I'll have to do it the old fashioned way. :-)
>
> Insert standard advice about not using Tomcat x-y config files with
> tomcat x (where y > 0)
>
> Take the svn command line example and adjust the paths as necessary and
> you can easily compare 7.0.something to 8.0.something.

Yep. That's what I meant by "the old fashioned way." ;-)

Nick

Re: [VOTE][RESULT] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC1

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Williams <ni...@nicholaswilliams.net>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 06/08/2013 12:57, Nick Williams wrote:

> The migration guide says Tomcat 8 supports Expression Language 2.3.
> Should be 3.0. You (might) also want to call it Java Unified
> Expression Language. That's the "official" name from my
> understanding, and EL 3.0 is much more capable of being used outside
> of a JSP /easily/ than EL 2.3 was so the name is more fitting.

Fixed. Having implemented the thing, you'd think I could get the version
number right...

> Also, the migration guide says this:
>
>> To assist with the identification of these changes, the form below
>> may be used to view the differences between the configuration files
>> in different versions of Tomcat 7.
>
> However, this is not the case. I can only view the diff between
> 8.0.0-RC1 and trunk. I can't select earlier (7.0) versions.

It should say 8 only. That has been fixed as well.

Thanks,

Posted by Nick Williams <ni...@nicholaswilliams.net>.
On Aug 6, 2013, at 4:22 AM, Ognjen Blagojevic wrote:

> Mark,
>
> On 5.8.2013 22:56, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> The site has been updated with the various parts required for a new
>> major release (security, migration, download, docs, navigation, which
>> version etc.) but I haven't posted the release announcement yet to give
>> the remaining mirrors time to sync up.
>
> Great job.

Indeed. We've very excited over here.

Posted by Ognjen Blagojevic <og...@gmail.com>.
Mark,

Posted by Elgs Qian Chen <el...@hotmail.com>.
Awesome! Thank you Mark.

By the way, what are the main differences between version 7 and 8?

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ognjen Blagojevic <og...@gmail.com>.
On 1.8.2013 22:53, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.0 release candidate 1 is now available
> for voting.
(...)
> The proposed 8.0.0-RC1 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Alpha - go ahead and release as 8.0.0-RC1 alpha

Tested .zip distribution on Windows 7 64-bit, and .tar.gz on CentOS 5
64-bit.
Tested SSL/TLS connectivity for BIO, NIO and APR connectors.
Tested with several webapps that are in active development.

-Ognjen

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC1

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2013-08-01 at 22:53 +0200, Mark Thomas wrote:
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.0-RC1/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-048/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_0_RC1/
>
> The proposed 8.0.0-RC1 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Alpha - go ahead and release as 8.0.0-RC1 alpha

Rémy

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC1

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 02/08/2013 18:10, Martin Grigorov wrote:
> I cannot login to Bugzilla with my account ...

If you mean your ASF LDAP account (i.e. the username and password you
use for svn) then that is expected. You'll need to register separately
for a Bugzilla account as Bugzilla is not hooked up to the ASF LDAP system.

Mark

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 02/08/2013 18:10, Martin Grigorov wrote:
> I cannot login to Bugzilla with my account ...
>
> The problem is:
> this.userProperties.putAll(endpointConfig.getUserProperties());
>
> a HashMap is copied into ConcurrentHashMap and null values cause the
> problem.

Thanks for the analysis. This has been fixed in trunk by using
ConcurrentHashMap everywhere.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

[...]

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:724)

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
2013/8/2 Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.0 release candidate 1 is now available
> for voting.
>
> Given this is a release candidate I am working on the basis that it is
> equivalent to an alpha. That said:
> - Servlet 3.1 is complete
> - JSP 2.3 is complete
> - EL 3.0 is complete
> - WebSocket 1.0 is complete
> - DBCP2 is working but in a state of flux but the early stages of JMX
>   monitoring are available
>

> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.0-RC1/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-048/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_0_RC1/
>
> The proposed 8.0.0-RC1 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Alpha - go ahead and release as 8.0.0-RC1 alpha

Tested with some applications

> Cheers,
>
> Mark

Olivier Lamy
Ecetera: http://ecetera.com.au

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC1

Posted by Violeta Georgieva <mi...@gmail.com>.
2013/8/1 Mark Thomas wrote:

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.0 release candidate 1 is now available
> for voting.
>
> Given this is a release candidate I am working on the basis that it is
> equivalent to an alpha. That said:
> - Servlet 3.1 is complete
> - JSP 2.3 is complete
> - EL 3.0 is complete
> - WebSocket 1.0 is complete
> - DBCP2 is working but in a state of flux but the early stages of JMX
>   monitoring are available
>

> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.0-RC1/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-048/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_0_RC1/
>
> The proposed 8.0.0-RC1 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Alpha - go ahead and release as 8.0.0-RC1 alpha

Regards
Violeta

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC1

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@apache.org>.
On Aug 1, 2013, at 1:53 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> [X ] Alpha - go ahead and release as 8.0.0-RC1 alpha

Ran JSTL TCK.
--
Jeremy

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC1

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 05.08.2013 18:22, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 05/08/2013 11:49, Rainer Jung wrote:

>> The "Thread-4" has stack
>>
>>    java.lang.Thread.State: RUNNABLE
>>         at sun.nio.ch.SolarisEventPort.portGet(Native Method)
>>         at sun.nio.ch.SolarisEventPort.access$400(SolarisEventPort.java:38)
>>         at
>> sun.nio.ch.SolarisEventPort$EventHandlerTask.run(SolarisEventPort.java:167)
>>
>> and gets started between NioBlockingSelector.BlockPoller-2 and
>> ContainerBackgroundProcessor[StandardEngine[Catalina]]. Not sure whether
>> it is started by the JVM under the hood, but if we create it ourselves
>> we should probably give it a name.

Unfortunately we can't :(

Stack at thread creation is:

        at java.lang.Thread.init(Thread.java:439)
        at java.lang.Thread.<init>(Thread.java:479)
        at sun.nio.ch.ThreadPool$1.newThread(ThreadPool.java:45)
        at
sun.nio.ch.AsynchronousChannelGroupImpl$2.run(AsynchronousChannelGroupImpl.java:123)
        at
sun.nio.ch.AsynchronousChannelGroupImpl$2.run(AsynchronousChannelGroupImpl.java:118)
        at
sun.nio.ch.AsynchronousChannelGroupImpl.startInternalThread(AsynchronousChannelGroupImpl.java:118)
        at
sun.nio.ch.AsynchronousChannelGroupImpl.startThreads(AsynchronousChannelGroupImpl.java:132)
        at sun.nio.ch.SolarisEventPort.start(SolarisEventPort.java:82)
        at
sun.nio.ch.SolarisAsynchronousChannelProvider.openAsynchronousChannelGroup(SolarisAsynchronousChannelProvider.java:65)
        at
java.nio.channels.AsynchronousChannelGroup.withCachedThreadPool(AsynchronousChannelGroup.java:233)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.websocket.WsWebSocketContainer.<clinit>(WsWebSocketContainer.java:116)
        at org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsSci.init(WsSci.java:130)
        at org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsSci.onStartup(WsSci.java:47)

and the code in WsWebSocketContainer provides a thread factory that does
set a sensible name. But Thread-4 is some JDK internal thread we can't
influence. Here's the relevant snippet of JDK code:

117     private void startInternalThread(final Runnable task) {
118         AccessController.doPrivileged(new PrivilegedAction<Void>() {
119             @Override
120             public Void run() {
121                 // internal threads should not be visible to
application so
122                 // cannot use user-supplied thread factory
123
ThreadPool.defaultThreadFactory().newThread(task).start();
124                 return null;
125             }
126          });
127     }
128
"./jdk/src/share/classes/sun/nio/ch/AsynchronousChannelGroupImpl.java"

So we have to live with that. Code looks the same in Java 8.

Regards,

Rainer

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC1

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 05/08/2013 11:49, Rainer Jung wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> thanks for the thorough inspection of my results. I'll try to make sure
> that I won't include now known false positives in future reports.

No problem. I'd rather a few false positives than a few false negatives.

> On 04.08.2013 18:14, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> On 03/08/2013 12:06, Rainer Jung wrote:
>>> Overview:
>>>
>>> - one crash in tcnative during unit tests
>>> - MBeans indicate common loader is gone (is that expected?
>>>   At least the common.loader entry still exists in catalina.properties)
>> Expected as StandardClassLoader has been removed. That decision is
>> reversible of there is a use case for having the class loader visible in
>> JMX.
>
> So the common loader still exists but is a URLClassLoader?

Correct.

>>> ! Unit tests few failures and errors:
>> These need looking at. Note: Many of the tests are timing sensitive and
>> do not fail consistently. Making the tests less sensitive to timing is
>> an ongoing task.
>
> .. and my build and test system is especially slow (sometimes helpful to
> detect race conditions).
>
> The APR crash is probably PR 51813. I added the crash info to BZ after
> Chris pointed me to it.
>
>>>   - Catalina:j2eeType=WebModule,name=//localhost attribute
>>>     ignoreAnnotations switched from "true" to "false",
>> Need to look in to that.
>
> I double checked, it is really like that.

OK. Still on the TODO list.

>>>   - platform MBean java.lang:type=Threading shows 4 more (daemon)
>>>     threads
>> OK.
>
> Here are the details, which look OK to me, except for Thread-4:
>
> Directly after start:
>
> only for TC 7
> - ajp-bio-8009-AsyncTimeout
> - http-bio-8080-AsyncTimeout
> - Low Memory Detector (JVM internal)
>
> only for TC 8a
> - ajp-nio-8009-ClientPoller-0
> - ajp-nio-8009-ClientPoller-1
> - http-nio-8080-ClientPoller-0
> - http-nio-8080-ClientPoller-1
> - NioBlockingSelector.BlockPoller-1
> - NioBlockingSelector.BlockPoller-2
> - Service Thread (JVM internal)
> - Thread-4
>
> and after the first request was handled TC 7 also shows
> "SnakeWebSocketServlet Timer".
>
> The "Thread-4" has stack
>
>    java.lang.Thread.State: RUNNABLE
>         at sun.nio.ch.SolarisEventPort.portGet(Native Method)
>         at sun.nio.ch.SolarisEventPort.access$400(SolarisEventPort.java:38)
>         at
> sun.nio.ch.SolarisEventPort$EventHandlerTask.run(SolarisEventPort.java:167)
>
> and gets started between NioBlockingSelector.BlockPoller-2 and
> ContainerBackgroundProcessor[StandardEngine[Catalina]]. Not sure whether
> it is started by the JVM under the hood, but if we create it ourselves
> we should probably give it a name.

+1.

>>>   - platform MBean java.lang:type=OperatingSystem show 88 open file
>>>     descriptors instead of 61
>> Worth just checking what those files are.
>
> I checked again and those are:
>
> - multiple times poll devices and FIFOs (probably due to NIO)
> - some additional TC jars (websocket, spdy, jni, storeconfig)
> - some addition JDK jars (JDK 7 vs. 6)
>
> So it looks OK to me.
>
> What I noticed: the global web.xml directly after start has 9 FDs open
> for it (TC 7) resp. 5 (TC 8). After the first GC those are gone, so
> probably only a finalizer thing and not problematic.
>
>>> - org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TestCustomSsl
>>>   - (old) BIO twice "Exception getting SSL attributes"
>>>     in org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor actionInternal
>>>     exception is:
>>>     javax.net.ssl.SSLProtocolException: handshake alert: no_certificate
>>>   - (old) NIO twice "Exception re-negotiating SSL connection"
>>>     in org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProcessor actionInternal
>> Need to check.
>
> Note that those also exist for TC 7 at least since 7.0.11.

OK. Expected then.

>>> - tribes: several warnings (41), numbers up by 22 from 7.0.42.
>>>   Mostly same types of messages.
>> Probably OK but should check.
>
> The types of messages are the same as for TC 7.

OK.

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Hi Mark,

thanks for the thorough inspection of my results. I'll try to make sure
that I won't include now known false positives in future reports.

Some few remarks inline.

On 04.08.2013 18:14, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 03/08/2013 12:06, Rainer Jung wrote:
>> Overview:
>>
>> - one crash in tcnative during unit tests
>> - MBeans indicate common loader is gone (is that expected?
>>   At least the common.loader entry still exists in catalina.properties)
> Expected as StandardClassLoader has been removed. That decision is
> reversible of there is a use case for having the class loader visible in
> JMX.

So the common loader still exists but is a URLClassLoader? Otherwise I
guess we should remove to common.loader property in catalina.properties?

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 03/08/2013 12:06, Rainer Jung wrote:
> Overview:
>
> - one crash in tcnative during unit tests
> - MBeans indicate common loader is gone (is that expected?
>   At least the common.loader entry still exists in catalina.properties)
Expected as StandardClassLoader has been removed. That decision is
reversible of there is a use case for having the class loader visible in
JMX.

> - some MBean data gone (resource cache statistics, environment content)
Resource cache is expected. Env is not. Might need to add more JMX stats
to new WebResource implementation.

> - Catalina:j2eeType=WebModule,name=//localhost attribute
>   workDir switched from work/Catalina/localhost/_
>   to work/Catalina/localhost/ROOT
Expected.

> - new SEVERE and Exceptions in unit test output, maybe expected
Unless the test fails then these should be expected.

> - bayeaux and tomcat-lite modules not bundled
Expected. I won't be copying these to tc8.0.x/trunk

> - MD5 OK
> - signatures OK
> - key in KEYS file
> - gz and zip for src and bin consistent
> ! src consistent with svn tag except:
>   - modules bayeux and tomcat-lite not in src
See above.

>   - file
> res/META-INF/tomcat-websocket.jar/services/javax.servlet.ServletContainerInitializer
>     has Unix line ends in svn, but the src archives
>     for Unix and Windows both contain it with DOS line ends
It wasn't treated as a text file. Now fixed.

> ! builds fine but
>   - several warning about unsafe or unchecked operations.
>     See full list at end of mail.
I was expecting all of those to be unfixable. To double-check I disabled
Eclipse's hide unavoidable generics errors and to my surprise ~30% were
easily fixable. These have been fixed. The rest do look to be unavoidable.

Digging into the 'fixes' all they appear to be doing is using a JRE
method that already has @SupressWarnings so arguably Eclipse was right.
Even so, I am no longer as strongly +1 for using this option as I have been.

> [...]

>         s = 0xb29500
>         nbytes = 8192
>         ss = <optimized out>
>
> (gdb) print *s
> $5 = {pool = 0xb294c0, child = 0x0, sock = 0x0, opaque = 0xb297d8,
>   jsbbuff = 0x330398 "HTTP/1.1 101 Switching Protocols\r\nServer:
> Apache-Coyote/1.1\r\nUpgrade: websocket\r\nConnection:
> upgrade\r\nSec-WebSocket-Accept: tPEj68f24a5073zco+NHsEUCKpY=\r\nDate:
> Fri, 02 Aug 2013 12:52:53 GMT\r\n\r\n",
>   jrbbuff = 0xbfbc78 "GET /firehose HTTP/1.1\r\nSec-WebSocket-Version:
> 13\r\nUpgrade: websocket\r\nHost: localhost:59353\r\nSec-WebSocket-Key:
> qzlX6/aQxs4TAKyKCb+XLg==\r\nConnection: upgrade\r\n\r\n", net = 0x0, pe
> = 0xb87958, last_active = 0, timeout = -2}
>
> The reason for the crash is likely:
>
> (gdb) print s->net
> $7 = (tcn_nlayer_t *) 0x0
>
> So dereferencing it in (*s->net->recv) gives a segfault.
>

>   - TestWsWebSocketContainer:
>
> Testcase: testMaxMessageSize03 took 0.426 sec
>         Caused an ERROR
> The WebSocket session has been closed and no method (apart from close())
> may be called on a closed session
> java.lang.IllegalStateException: The WebSocket session has been closed
> and no method (apart from close()) may be called on a closed session
>         at
> org.apache.tomcat.websocket.WsSession.checkState(WsSession.java:607)
>         at
> org.apache.tomcat.websocket.WsSession.getUserProperties(WsSession.java:556)
>         at
> org.apache.tomcat.websocket.WsRemoteEndpointImplBase.getBlockingSendTimeout(WsRemoteEndpointImplBase.java:360)
>         at
> org.apache.tomcat.websocket.WsRemoteEndpointImplBase.sendPartialString(WsRemoteEndpointImplBase.java:195)
>         at
> org.apache.tomcat.websocket.WsRemoteEndpointImplBase.sendString(WsRemoteEndpointImplBase.java:155)
>         at
> org.apache.tomcat.websocket.WsRemoteEndpointBasic.sendText(WsRemoteEndpointBasic.java:37)
>         at
> org.apache.tomcat.websocket.TestWsWebSocketContainer.doMaxMessageSize(TestWsWebSocketContainer.java:859)
>         at
> org.apache.tomcat.websocket.TestWsWebSocketContainer.testMaxMessageSize03(TestWsWebSocketContainer.java:830)
>

>   - TestWebappClassLoaderExecutorMemoryLeak NIO:
>
> Testcase: testTimerThreadLeak took 4.932 sec
>         FAILED
> null
> junit.framework.AssertionFailedError
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.loader.TestWebappClassLoaderExecutorMemoryLeak.testTimerThreadLeak(TestWebappClassLoaderExecutorMemoryLeak.java:72)
>

> - JMX MBean-Comparison with TC 7:
>
>   - MBean Catalina:type=ServerClassLoader,name=common no longer exists
Expected.

>   - MBeans j2eeType=WebModule attribute
>     parentClassLoader is no longer of type
>     org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader
>     but instead java.net.URLClassLoader
Expected.

>   - MBeans j2eeType=Servlet and j2eeType=WebModule no longer
>     have attributes eventProvider and statisticsProvider
Expected. They were hard-coded to false so were removed.

>   - MBeans j2eeType=WebModule no longer have attributes
>     saveConfig, staticResources and mappingObject
saveConfig - removed as was unused
staticResoucres - new WebResources impl
mappingObject - removed (unnecessary duplicate)

>   - MBeans type=Cache replaced by type=WebResourceRoot
>     - old attributes accessCount, hitsCount, desiredEntryAccessRatio,
>       cacheSize, maxAllocateIterations removed
>     - new attributes cacheMaxObjectSize, cacheTtl, cachingAllowed,
>       allowLinking, stateName, objectName, domain added
All expected. Attributes can be added to new impl as required.

>   - MBean type=NamingResourcesno longer provides the arrays
>     resources, environments and resourceLinks and attribute container.
>     modelerType changed from
>     org.apache.catalina.mbeans.NamingResourcesMBean
>     to org.apache.tomcat.util.modeler.BaseModelMBean
That is not expected. Need to look into that.

>   - MBeans type=Loader no longer have attributes repositories,
>     repositoriesString and searchExternalFirst.
>     Probably replaced by the new Resources impl
Correct.

>   - MBeans type=WebappClassLoader no longer has attribute
>     searchExternalFirst.
>     Probably replaced by the new Resources impl.
Corrct.

>   - ThreadPool, RequestProcessor and GlobalRequestProcessor now
>     for nio instead of bio as default; corresponding name changes
>     in thread names, class names etc. and increased maxConnections
Expected.

>   - nio based ThreadPools switch useComet, usePolling and
>     useCometTimeout from "false" to "true", for http also
>     useSendfile switched from "false" to "true".
>     New attributes keepAliveCount, pollerThreadCount,
>     pollerThreadPriority, selectorTimeout, selectorPool and
>     oomParachute
Expected.

>   - nio based ProtocolHandler new attributes connectionCount,
>     cometSupported, cometTimeoutSupported and sendfileSupported.
>     For http in addition pollerThreadCount, pollerThreadPriority,
>     acceptorThreadPriority, useSendfile, endpoint and selectorTimeout.
>     Attribute disableKeepAlivePercentage only existed for http and
>     is gone there now.
Expected.

>   - Example Servlets wsChat, wsEchoMessage, wsEchoStream, wsSnake
>     removed
Need to look in to JMX visibility of new WebSocket impl.

>   - Filter o.a.t.websocket.server.WsFilter added to all 5 webapps
>     (ROOT, docs, examples, manager, host-manager)
Expected.

>   - order of jstl.jar and standard.jar in loader for /examples
>     switched
Odd but should not be an issue.

>   - MBean type=Environment now className
>     org.apache.tomcat.util.descriptor.web.ContextEnvironment
>     instead of org.apache.catalina.deploy.ContextEnvironment
Expected.

>   - type=Mapper singleton, no longer per connector
Expected.

>   - Catalina:type=Valve,host=localhost,name=AccessLogValve
>     locale changed from en_US to en, fileDateFormat changed
>     from yyyy-MM-dd to .yyyy-MM-dd, prefix changed from
>     localhost_access_log. to localhost_access_log (prefix and
>     fileDateFormat changes OK), resolveHosts attribute gone (unused),
>     info attribute gone (not a big loss)
Expected.

>   - Catalina:type=Valve,host=localhost,name=ErrorReportValve
>     attribute info gone (not a big loss)
Expected.

>   - Catalina:type=Engine attribute baseDir replaced by catalinaBase
Expected.

>   - Catalina:j2eeType=WebModule,name=//localhost attribute
>     ignoreAnnotations switched from "true" to "false",
Need to look in to that.

>     attribute workDir switched from work/Catalina/localhost/_
>     to work/Catalina/localhost/ROOT
Expected.

>   - Catalina:type=Deployer,host=localhost attribute
>     configClass: org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig gone
Expected.

>   - new (platform) MBeans java.nio:type=BufferPool,name=direct
>     and java.nio:type=BufferPool,name=mapped
OK.

>   - platform MBean type=Logging: LoggerNames javax, javax.management and
>     javax.management.mbeanserver removed, org.apache.tomcat.websocket
>     and org.apache.tomcat.websocket.WsWebSocketContainer added
OK.

>   - platform MBean java.lang:type=Threading shows 4 more (daemon)
>     threads
OK.

>   - platform MBean java.lang:type=OperatingSystem show 88 open file
>     descriptors instead of 61
Worth just checking what those files are.

>   - platform MBean java.lang:type=Runtime shows 3 system properties
>     *.jarsToSkip replaced by t.u.s.StandardJarScanFilter.jarsToScan and
>     t.u.s.StandardJarScanFilter.jarsToSkip
Expected.

> Build and tests were done using Java 1.7.0_25. OS was Solaris 10 Sparc,
> tcnative was 1.1.27 based on APR 1.4.8 and OpenSSL 1.0.1e (plus a few
> patches).
>
> Unit test warnings (very similar to 7.0.35 and before, but two new ones,
> one NPE in access log, one testResources warning):
>
> - org.apache.tomcat.util.descriptor.web.TestWebXmlOrdering
>   - (old) BIO, NIO and APR: [main]
>     org.apache.tomcat.util.descriptor.web.WebXml.orderWebFragments
>     Used a wrong fragment name z at web.xml absolute-ordering tag!
>   - (new) BIO, NIO and APR: [main]
>     org.apache.tomcat.util.descriptor.web.WebXml.setVersion
>     Unknown version string [0.0]. Default version will be used.
Look OK.

> - org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TestCustomSsl
>   - (old) BIO twice "Exception getting SSL attributes"
>     in org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor actionInternal
>     exception is:
>     javax.net.ssl.SSLProtocolException: handshake alert: no_certificate
>   - (old) NIO twice "Exception re-negotiating SSL connection"
>     in org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProcessor actionInternal
Need to check.

> - org.apache.catalina.startup.TestHostConfigAutomaticDeployment
>   - (new) BIO, NIO and APR: [main] 3 times each
>     org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployDescriptor
>     A docBase .../webapps/myapp inside the host appBase has been
>     specified, and will be ignored
>   - (new) BIO, NIO and APR: [main] 2 times each
>     org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployWARs
>     The directory [.../webapps/myapp] will be ignored because the WAR
>     [.../webapps/myapp.war] takes priority and unpackWARs is false
Expected.

> - tribes: several warnings (41), numbers up by 22 from 7.0.42.
>   Mostly same types of messages.
Probably OK but should check.

> Unit test SEVERE messages: 439 total (+218 rel TC 7).
That seems rather high.

> About 200 of those are of types not observed for TC 7:
>
> Count  Message
>
>   48 : ContainerBase.addChild: start:
Need to look into those.

>   48 : Error deploying configuration descriptor
> .../conf/Tomcat/localhost/myapp.xml
Related to the above.

>   12 : Error listenerStart
Need to look into these.

>   12 : For security constraints with URL pattern [/] only the HTTP
> methods [POST] are covered. All other methods are uncovered.
>    6 : For security constraints with URL pattern [/] only the HTTP
> methods [GET] are covered. All other methods are uncovered.
>    6 : For security constraints with URL pattern [/test] only the HTTP
> methods [POST] are covered. All other methods are uncovered.
>    3 : For security constraints with URL pattern [/test] only the HTTP
> methods [PUT] are covered. All other methods are uncovered.
>    3  [main]
> org.apache.tomcat.util.descriptor.web.SecurityConstraint.findUncoveredHttpMethods
> For security constraints with URL pattern [/test] only the HTTP methods
> [GET] are covered. All other methods are uncovered.
>    3  [main]
> org.apache.tomcat.util.descriptor.web.SecurityConstraint.findUncoveredHttpMethods
> For security constraints with URL pattern [/test] only the HTTP methods
> [POST] are covered. All other methods are uncovered.
>    3  [main]
> org.apache.tomcat.util.descriptor.web.SecurityConstraint.findUncoveredHttpMethods
> For security constraints with URL pattern [/test] the HTTP methods [GET]
> are uncovered.
>    3  [main]
> org.apache.tomcat.util.descriptor.web.SecurityConstraint.findUncoveredHttpMethods
> For security constraints with URL pattern [/test] the HTTP methods
> [POST] are uncovered.
All expected. These are new tests for the new 3.1 uncovered methods feature.

>    9 : Error reading request, ignored
>    9 : Exception fixing docBase for context [/myapp]
>    6  [localhost-startStop-1]
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart Exception sending
> context initialized event to listener instance of class
> websocket.echo.WsConfigListener
>    6  [localhost-startStop-1]
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal Context
> [/examples] startup failed due to previous errors
>    6  [localhost-startStop-1]
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal Error listenerStart
>    6 : Context [/examples] startup failed due to previous errors
>    6 : Context [/myapp] startup failed due to previous errors
>    6 : Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance
> of class websocket.echo.WsConfigListener
>    6 : Skipped installing application listeners due to previous error(s)
>    3 : No error handling configured for
> [org.apache.tomcat.websocket.pojo.TestPojoEndpointBase$Bug54716] and the
> following error occurred
>    1 : Error configuring application listener of class
> org.apache.tomcat.util.descriptor.web.ApplicationListener@12cc06
>    1 : Error configuring application listener of class
> org.apache.tomcat.util.descriptor.web.ApplicationListener@1605b09
>    1 : Error configuring application listener of class
> org.apache.tomcat.util.descriptor.web.ApplicationListener@17024fc
>    1 : Error configuring application listener of class
> org.apache.tomcat.util.descriptor.web.ApplicationListener@18896b4
>    1 : Error configuring application listener of class
> org.apache.tomcat.util.descriptor.web.ApplicationListener@4114a7
>    1 : Error configuring application listener of class
> org.apache.tomcat.util.descriptor.web.ApplicationListener@f4b327
The above error message needs fixing.
The above group of messages needs checking.

> The rest looks very similar to TC 7:
>
> Most of those are of type "Servlet.service() for servlet ... threw
> exception" (137 times, unchanged).
>
> Second biggest block (unchanged):
>
> Count    message
>   27     [junit] TIMESTAMP SEVERE [main]
> org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.startElement Begin event threw
> exception
>    3     [junit] TIMESTAMP SEVERE [main]
> org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.endElement End event threw
> exception
>
> Third biggest block is 15 (-4) messages from the mem leak detection
> during context unload (same types as before), but in addition one new
> message
>
> The web application [] is still processing a request that has yet to
> finish. This is very likely to create a memory leak. You can control the
> time allowed for requests to finish by using the unloadDelay attribute
> of the standard Context implementation.
>
> in org.apache.catalina.connector.TestMaxConnections for BIO, NIO, APR 2
> times each.
>

> "Exception" in output of unit tests: 475 times (+256 rel. TC 7).
>
> Top exception counts (some new entries):

Should be covered by looking at the warnings as per above.

> "unchecked" warnings during build:

See above.

Many thanks for such a thorough analysis.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Rainer,

On 8/3/13 6:06 AM, Rainer Jung wrote:
> [...]
>         s = 0xb29500
>         nbytes = 8192
>         ss = <optimized out>
>
> (gdb) print *s
> $5 = {pool = 0xb294c0, child = 0x0, sock = 0x0, opaque = 0xb297d8,
>   jsbbuff = 0x330398 "HTTP/1.1 101 Switching Protocols\r\nServer:
> Apache-Coyote/1.1\r\nUpgrade: websocket\r\nConnection:
> upgrade\r\nSec-WebSocket-Accept: tPEj68f24a5073zco+NHsEUCKpY=\r\nDate:
> Fri, 02 Aug 2013 12:52:53 GMT\r\n\r\n",
>   jrbbuff = 0xbfbc78 "GET /firehose HTTP/1.1\r\nSec-WebSocket-Version:
> 13\r\nUpgrade: websocket\r\nHost: localhost:59353\r\nSec-WebSocket-Key:
> qzlX6/aQxs4TAKyKCb+XLg==\r\nConnection: upgrade\r\n\r\n", net = 0x0, pe
> = 0xb87958, last_active = 0, timeout = -2}
>
> The reason for the crash is likely:
>
> (gdb) print s->net
> $7 = (tcn_nlayer_t *) 0x0
>
> So dereferencing it in (*s->net->recv) gives a segfault.

Sounds like https://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=51813

I haven't committed a patch for this, yet. Can you add this same
information to that bug to make sure I get that particular call? I think
it's already there, but just in case.

-chris

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC1

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
On 01.08.2013 22:53, Mark Thomas wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.0 release candidate 1 is now available
> for voting.
>
> Given this is a release candidate I am working on the basis that it is
> equivalent to an alpha. That said:
> - Servlet 3.1 is complete
> - JSP 2.3 is complete
> - EL 3.0 is complete
> - WebSocket 1.0 is complete
> - DBCP2 is working but in a state of flux but the early stages of JMX
>   monitoring are available
>

> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.0-RC1/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-048/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_0_RC1/
>
> The proposed 8.0.0-RC1 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Alpha - go ahead and release as 8.0.0-RC1 alpha

+1 as an alpha and congrats!

#7  0xb76dfe74 in Java_org_apache_tomcat_jni_Socket_recv (e=0x30b528,
[...]

  75  [junit] javax.servlet.ServletException: Opps.
New  48  [junit] org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start
component
[StandardEngine[Tomcat].StandardHost[localhost].StandardContext[/myapp]]
New  48  [junit] java.lang.IllegalStateException:
ContainerBase.addChild: start: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException:
Failed to start component
[StandardEngine[Tomcat].StandardHost[localhost].StandardContext[/myapp]]
New  48  [junit] Caused by: org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException:
Failed to start component
[org.apache.catalina.webresources.StandardRoot@HEX]
New  39  [junit] Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The main
resource set specified [.../webapps/myapp] is not valid
New  18  [junit] java.lang.NullPointerException
New   9  [junit] SEVERE: Exception fixing docBase for context [/myapp]
   9  [junit] java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: <ordering> element is
limited to 1 occurrence
   9  [junit] java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: <name> element is
limited to 1 occurrence
   9  [junit] java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: <absolute-ordering>
element is limited to 1 occurrence
   9  [junit] java.io.IOException: Invalid CRLF, no CR character
encountered.
New   9  [junit] java.io.FileNotFoundException:
.../external/external.war (No such file or directory)
New   9  [junit] Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The main
resource set specified [.../external/external.war] is not valid
New   6  [junit] SEVERE: Exception sending context initialized event to
listener instance of class websocket.echo.WsConfigListener
   6  [junit] org.apache.jasper.JasperException:
/bug49nnn/bug49297DuplicateAttr.jsp (line: 21, column: 46) Attribute
qualified names must be unique within an element
New   6  [junit] java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.catalina.core.NoSuchListener

I'm not claiming that any of the SEVERE or Exception messages are
important.

"unchecked" warnings during build:

java/javax/websocket/ClientEndpointConfig.java:47: unchecked conversion
java/javax/websocket/ClientEndpointConfig.java:48: unchecked conversion
java/javax/websocket/ClientEndpointConfig.java:50: unchecked conversion
java/javax/websocket/ClientEndpointConfig.java:52: unchecked conversion
java/javax/websocket/ClientEndpointConfig.java:75: unchecked conversion
java/javax/websocket/ClientEndpointConfig.java:87: unchecked conversion
java/javax/websocket/ClientEndpointConfig.java:97: unchecked conversion
java/javax/websocket/ClientEndpointConfig.java:107: unchecked conversion
java/javax/websocket/ContainerProvider.java:48: unchecked cast
java/javax/websocket/server/ServerEndpointConfig.java:62: unchecked
conversion
java/javax/websocket/server/ServerEndpointConfig.java:63: unchecked
conversion
java/javax/websocket/server/ServerEndpointConfig.java:64: unchecked
conversion
java/javax/websocket/server/ServerEndpointConfig.java:65: unchecked
conversion
java/javax/websocket/server/ServerEndpointConfig.java:85: unchecked
conversion
java/javax/websocket/server/ServerEndpointConfig.java:96: unchecked
conversion
java/javax/websocket/server/ServerEndpointConfig.java:107: unchecked
conversion
java/javax/websocket/server/ServerEndpointConfig.java:118: unchecked
conversion
java/javax/websocket/server/ServerEndpointConfig.java:172: unchecked cast
java/org/apache/catalina/connector/Request.java:1885: unchecked cast
java/org/apache/catalina/core/AsyncContextImpl.java:291: unchecked cast
java/org/apache/catalina/core/ApplicationContext.java:929: unchecked cast
java/org/apache/catalina/core/ApplicationContext.java:1071: unchecked cast
java/org/apache/catalina/core/ApplicationContext.java:1299: unchecked cast
java/org/apache/catalina/filters/CsrfPreventionFilter.java:180:
unchecked cast
java/org/apache/catalina/tribes/tipis/AbstractReplicatedMap.java:380:
unchecked cast
java/org/apache/catalina/tribes/tipis/AbstractReplicatedMap.java:640:
unchecked cast
java/org/apache/catalina/tribes/tipis/AbstractReplicatedMap.java:640:
unchecked cast
java/org/apache/catalina/tribes/tipis/AbstractReplicatedMap.java:665:
unchecked cast
java/org/apache/catalina/tribes/tipis/AbstractReplicatedMap.java:671:
unchecked cast
java/org/apache/catalina/tribes/tipis/AbstractReplicatedMap.java:673:
unchecked cast
java/org/apache/catalina/tribes/tipis/AbstractReplicatedMap.java:1010:
unchecked cast
java/org/apache/catalina/tribes/tipis/AbstractReplicatedMap.java:1263:
unchecked cast
java/org/apache/catalina/loader/WebappClassLoader.java:1804: unchecked cast
java/org/apache/catalina/loader/WebappClassLoader.java:1832: unchecked cast
java/org/apache/catalina/realm/RealmBase.java:1418: unchecked cast
java/org/apache/catalina/realm/JAASRealm.java:633: unchecked cast
java/org/apache/catalina/startup/WebappServiceLoader.java:86: unchecked cast
java/org/apache/catalina/tribes/membership/Membership.java:72: unchecked
cast
java/org/apache/catalina/tribes/group/interceptors/TwoPhaseCommitInterceptor.java:119:
unchecked conversion
java/org/apache/catalina/tribes/transport/bio/MultipointBioSender.java:142:
unchecked conversion
java/org/apache/coyote/http11/AbstractHttp11Protocol.java:183: unchecked
cast
java/org/apache/coyote/http11/AbstractHttp11Processor.java:794:
unchecked cast
java/org/apache/el/lang/FunctionMapperImpl.java:86: unchecked cast
java/org/apache/el/lang/VariableMapperImpl.java:58: unchecked cast
java/org/apache/tomcat/util/collections/ManagedConcurrentWeakHashMap.java:248:
unchecked cast
java/org/apache/tomcat/websocket/Util.java:201: unchecked cast
java/org/apache/tomcat/websocket/Util.java:372: unchecked conversion
java/org/apache/tomcat/websocket/WsSession.java:131: unchecked conversion
java/org/apache/tomcat/websocket/WsSession.java:302: unchecked conversion
java/org/apache/tomcat/websocket/WsWebSocketContainer.java:334:
unchecked conversion
java/org/apache/tomcat/websocket/WsWebSocketContainer.java:718:
unchecked conversion
java/org/apache/tomcat/websocket/pojo/PojoEndpointClient.java:39:
unchecked conversion
java/org/apache/tomcat/websocket/pojo/PojoEndpointServer.java:60:
unchecked cast
java/org/apache/tomcat/websocket/server/WsServerContainer.java:233:
unchecked conversion
dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/dbcp2/BasicDataSource.java:1782:
unchecked call to
GenericObjectPool(PooledObjectFactory<T>,GenericObjectPoolConfig,AbandonedConfig)
as a member of the raw type GenericObjectPool
dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/dbcp2/BasicDataSource.java:1786:
unchecked call to GenericObjectPool(PooledObjectFactory<T>) as a member
of the raw type GenericObjectPool
dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/dbcp2/BasicDataSource.java:1799:
unchecked conversion
dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/dbcp2/BasicDataSource.java:1800:
unchecked conversion
dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/pool2/impl/LinkedBlockingDeque.java:1180:
unchecked cast
dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/dbcp2/PoolableCallableStatement.java:78:
unchecked call to returnObject(K,V) as a member of the raw type
KeyedObjectPool
dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/dbcp2/PoolingConnection.java:291:
unchecked call to
PoolablePreparedStatement(PreparedStatement,K,KeyedObjectPool<K,PoolablePreparedStatement<K,S>>,Connection)
as a member of the raw type PoolablePreparedStatement
dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/dbcp2/PoolingConnection.java:299:
unchecked call to
PoolablePreparedStatement(PreparedStatement,K,KeyedObjectPool<K,PoolablePreparedStatement<K,S>>,Connection)
as a member of the raw type PoolablePreparedStatement
dbcp/src/java/org/apache/tomcat/dbcp/pool2/impl/PoolImplUtils.java:86:
unchecked cast

Regards,

Rainer

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC1

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 4:53 PM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.0 release candidate 1 is now available
> for voting.
>
> The proposed 8.0.0-RC1 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [ X ] Alpha - go ahead and release as 8.0.0-RC1 alpha

Yoav