Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2017/06/01 13:42:01 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache UIMA uimaFIT 2.3.1 RC 1

my feeling after using semver for a while is that there were multiple cases
where I was "temporarily" adding exceptions to the POM because of changes which
I didn't feel warranted bumping up a higher digit.

These were often changes which added a method to an existing class, where that
method was very unlikely to be already implemented in a subclass that the user
might have written.

So, my feeling is to run this new report, which I thought provided useful
details to our users, if nothing else, by listing all the new and changed
things, and then make a judgement about what to do with respect to the version
number.  I think the default report shows what japicmp thinks the version should
be according to semver rules, so it's easy to check manually, as well as
automatically.

And, of course, those that want their builds to default to breaking the build
when semver rules are violated can configure that.

-Marshall

[CANCEL] [VOTE] Release Apache UIMA uimaFIT 2.3.1 RC 1

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
So I'll re-do the release properly against UIMA 2.9.1
and after enhancing the api checking configuration.

Stay tuned...

-- Richard

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache UIMA uimaFIT 2.3.1 RC 1

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <re...@apache.org>.
On 08.06.2017, at 09:19, Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com> wrote:

> This there progress on this matter? I'd prefer us to use the same
> approach/checks within the uima projects but it should not be a stopper
> for a release.

It is on my todo list. So what I plan to do is to enable the semver checks
in the new plugin and have the build fail if semver rules are violated.

For good measure, I might also reactivate the old semver plugin to run it
in parallel with the new one for some time to get a better feeling.

I think I would use the semver plugin to compare against the earliest
version possible and the new plugin to compare against the closest release.

Can anybody point towards how to create the aggregated api report? I
thought that I had copied over all the configuration for the new plugin
into uimaFIT, but as Marshall pointed out repeatedly, there seems to be
no aggregated report.

Cheers,

-- Richard

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache UIMA uimaFIT 2.3.1 RC 1

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.