Posted to user@struts.apache.org by maestro <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/28 03:38:58 UTC

Struts2, Spring & Maven

Hello,

I have created my project using the Maven Archetype 2.0.5.
I started to code along...

I'm trying to connect to a database in a Spring bean.
Can't find a specific class called DataSourceUtils.

I then realise that newer versions of Struts2 and Spring are out.

What is the best way to bring my project up to the latest versions?

Thanks,
maestro

Re: Struts2, Spring & Maven

Posted by maestro <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, lots of valuable information!

It is hard to draw the line where things start and stop.
Could it be that when creating a project with a Maven Archetype, not all of
the dependencies are defined in the pom?

Or does an artifact such as Struts2-spring-plugin 2.0.14 will automatically
update its dependencies (as listed in mvnrepository or jarvana)?

So this is why I don't see them in the list of dependencies?

- maestro

Re: Struts2, Spring & Maven

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
Yeah, the author posted a link to it on user@maven.a.o a while ago...
IIRC, one of the problems with mvnrepository.com is that the actual
maven guys can never get anyone to claim ownership. It is sort of a
mysterious entity on the 'net. You combine the inability to contact
anyone regarding problems, and the seemingly frequent downtime, I was
happy to find an alternative. The ability to search on fully qualified
classes is awesome, and the owner/author is on maven@user.a.o. It
amused me at the time he posted about it, I think he got flamed for
posting the link, but I'm glad he did.

-Wes

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> wow, that website rocks.
>
> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 9:17 AM, Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Wes Wannemacher wrote:
>>>
>>> http://www.jarvana.com/jarvana/
>>>
>>> Seems to me that mvnrepository.com is always down when I *need* to be
>>> able to search :) Jarvana allows you to search for classes and find
>>> out which artifacts provide them, which is nifty when you are getting
>>> class not found exceptions.
>>
>> Nice; thanks.
>>
>> Dave

Wes Wannemacher
Author - Struts 2 In Practice
http://www.manning.com/wannemacher

RE: Struts2, Spring & Maven

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
like jarhoo (but for maven)

Martin

Re: Struts2, Spring & Maven

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.
wow, that website rocks.

Re: Struts2, Spring & Maven

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
Wes Wannemacher wrote:
> http://www.jarvana.com/jarvana/
>
> Seems to me that mvnrepository.com is always down when I *need* to be
> able to search :) Jarvana allows you to search for classes and find
> out which artifacts provide them, which is nifty when you are getting
> class not found exceptions.

Nice; thanks.

Dave

RE: Struts2, Spring & Maven

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
for those of us who spend hours looking for maven plugin jars
this is a great search tool!

thanks wes!

Martin Gainty

Hotmail® goes with you.

Re: Struts2, Spring & Maven

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
I'm working on it, I got sidetracked helping with Struts and starting
my own business, but that's starting to calm down so I'll be back to
work on important stuff soon :)

-Wes

Posted by st...@gmail.com.

Re: Struts2, Spring & Maven

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.

Re: Struts2, Spring & Maven

Posted by Dave Newton <ne...@yahoo.com>.
Martin Gainty wrote:
> dont know if this has the correct version and groupID you're looking for but checkout
>
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/spring/spring/1.0.2/

Spring 1.0.2?

I don't even know if Struts 2 would work with a Spring that old. I'd be
skeptical that the Spring plugin would, and the Spring plugin has a
dependency on 2.0.mumble.

As it turns out, there are ways to find these kinds of things out rather
than just presenting people with what are essentially random numbers. By
looking in the S2 poms, or by taking a few seconds to look it up on
something like mvnrepository.com. There we discover the following:

http://www.mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.struts/struts2-spring-plugin

 From there, since the OP mentioned he was trying to use 2.0.11 (to the

RE: Struts2, Spring & Maven

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Struts2, Spring & Maven

Posted by maestro <ma...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the laugh!

I did as you have suggested, changed to 2.0.11 and ran mvn install.
However when viewing my project thru Eclipse I still see the 2.0.5.jars.
Even after a refresh.

Any ideas?
- maestro

Re: Struts2, Spring & Maven