Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ha...@sjsu.edu on 2006/01/11 23:40:57 UTC

[users@httpd] howto configure apache to serve requests without explicitly defining a port number in the URL

Hi Everyone,

I would appreciate any information on configuring apache to run on a non
standard port, however serving requests without explicitly defining the
port number in the URL.
Example:
1. If I run apache on port 7894 hosting mydomain.org
2. I should be able visit http://mydomain.org to see my site
   (instead of http://mydomain.org:7894)
Does this also require any coordination with firewall rules,iptables,
etc ?. Any information is appreciated.
Running Apache 2.0.X on Solaris 8
Cheers
-Harish

Re: [users@httpd] howto configure apache to serve requests without explicitly defining a port number in the URL

Posted by Arun G Nair <ar...@gmail.com>.
I think you can do that with a redirection rule in your firewall.

On 1/12/06, Harish.Chakravarthy@sjsu.edu <Ha...@sjsu.edu>
wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I would appreciate any information on configuring apache to run on a non
> standard port, however serving requests without explicitly defining the
> port number in the URL.
> Example:
> 1. If I run apache on port 7894 hosting mydomain.org
> 2. I should be able visit http://mydomain.org to see my site
>    (instead of http://mydomain.org:7894)
> Does this also require any coordination with firewall rules,iptables,
> etc ?. Any information is appreciated.
> Running Apache 2.0.X on Solaris 8
> Cheers
> -Harish

...Keep Smiling...

Re: [users@httpd] howto configure apache to serve requests without explicitly defining a port number in the URL

Posted by ht...@karsites.net.
Sounds like you may need to use some sort of NAPT on your
firewall.

If you want requests to come into your firewall/router on
port 80 you will need to use NAPT to redirect the standard
request to the non standard port. Hopefully that should do
the trick.

Regards

Keith Roberts

Posted by Robert Palmer <ro...@greetin.gs>.
Harish.Chakravarthy@sjsu.edu wrote:

>Hi Everyone,
>
>I would appreciate any information on configuring apache to run on a non
>standard port, however serving requests without explicitly defining the
>port number in the URL.
>Example:
>1. If I run apache on port 7894 hosting mydomain.org
>2. I should be able visit http://mydomain.org to see my site
>   (instead of http://mydomain.org:7894)
>Does this also require any coordination with firewall rules,iptables,
>etc ?. Any information is appreciated.
>Running Apache 2.0.X on Solaris 8
>Cheers
>-Harish

I'm not sure you can do what you want.

http://mydomain.org:7894

is an instruction to the browser to connect on port 7894 to your system.

You can redirect from port 80 to 7894 using xinet. The following would do it but you'd
still have your machine listening for http on port 80 so it's pointless. You'd define
rpssh in /etc/services.

service rpssh
{
        socket_type             = stream
        wait                    = no
        user                    = root
        log_on_success  += HOST DURATION
        log_on_failure  += HOST
        disable                 = no
        redirect                = 127.0.0.1 7894
}