Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Jochen Wiedmann <jo...@ispsoft.de> on 2000/08/08 15:54:04 UTC

Simple Setup for DAV

Hi,

sorry, if this is a FAQ or is becoming a FAQ. If someone sends me a
reply that is of help, I promise to create a section for the docs
that is going to explain the answer.

First of all, is it possible to use Slide under Windows? In the
docs I found only Unix referred. However, the startup scripts
seem to work.

I would like to use the slide servlet for the implementation of
a WebDAV server. What I would like to do is making a single
directory writable for three or four dedicated users and
readable for the rest.

However, I have no real idea how

	- the slide properties should look like
	- how to configure the users and passwords
	- how the domain.xml should look like

Thanks for any response,

Jochen

Re: Simple Setup for DAV

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> Hi,
>
> sorry, if this is a FAQ or is becoming a FAQ. If someone sends me a
> reply that is of help, I promise to create a section for the docs
> that is going to explain the answer.
>
> First of all, is it possible to use Slide under Windows? In the
> docs I found only Unix referred. However, the startup scripts
> seem to work.

Yes. I use Win2k.

> I would like to use the slide servlet for the implementation of
> a WebDAV server. What I would like to do is making a single
> directory writable for three or four dedicated users and
> readable for the rest.
>
> However, I have no real idea how
>
> - the slide properties should look like

That one is not very important, unless you want to change the domain config
file path, or disable features.

> - how to configure the users and passwords

You can add users :
- using the domain.xml file
- using an application which would use the Slide API
- Using WebDAV. A user is just a normal, empty resource.

The password is stored in a "password" property on the user, so either :
- use domain.xml (one example of this is the "root" user defined in it, and
who is assigned password "root"
- Use a WebDAV client with PROPPATCH support and set property "password" on
the user resource.

Of course, no DAV client that I know of really supports PROPPATCH ;-)

Then, you'll probably want to edit ACLs. That's a problem, since no DAV
client (or server) support the spec right now. That's why I also working on
DAV client technologies.

> - how the domain.xml should look like

You can have a look at the samples provided in the (not yet complete)
documentation. If you have the latest nightly builds, go to :
slide/doc/index.html, and go to the "First Steps" section of the User's
Guide.

Remy