Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Woodchuck <wo...@yahoo.com> on 2005/02/22 20:14:52 UTC

challenging JK connector problem: java.net.SocketException

hihi all,

i have installed the JK connector (setupJK204.exe) with my IIS 5.1 and
Tomcat 4.1.24.

everything is working fine, except that i'm noticing in the Tomcat
console display i see the following exceptions at run-time:

java.net.SocketException: Software caused connection abort: recv failed
        at
java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:183)
        at
java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(BufferedInputStream.java:222)
        at
java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:277)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.read(ChannelSocket.java:498)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.receive(ChannelSocket.java:436)
<snip>.....

and

java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer: socket write error
        at
java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:92)
        at
java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:136)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.send(ChannelSocket.java:407)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.invoke(ChannelSocket.java:599)
        at
org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.action(JkCoyoteHandler.java:372)
        at org.apache.coyote.Response.action(Response.java:222)
        at org.apache.coyote.Response.finish(Response.java:343)
<snip>....

in particular these exceptions are coming up when i use my app's search
functionality

the weird part is that the exceptions only occur when i access my web
site through IIS (ie. via JK connector).  i *don't* get any exceptions
at all when accessing Tomcat directly by specifying port 8080 in my
URL.

these exceptions are causing weird/incorrect app behaviour in the
search functionality as well, so it's not just harmless exception logs
being generated.  if i use my application by connecting to Tomcat
directly (port 8080), the search functionality works perfectly and
there's no errors at all.

i have looked at my code and cannot see what i could be doing that may
cause such errors to happen in the JK connector.

has anyone any suggestions on how to go about debugging this?  or has
come across this before and found a solution?

in my search page, i am using <logic:present> and <logic:empty> struts
tags to detect if my collection (of search results) object is null or
not, and if not, is it an empty collection or not respectively.  is
this a known bug/issue perhaps with some struts tags being used through
JK connector?  why is "connection reset by peer" happening?  doesn't
this mean the request/form being submitted is suddenly cut off?

any help is appreciated.

please and thanks,
woodchuck