Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Michael O'Cleirigh <mi...@rivulet.ca> on 2010/08/10 04:39:51 UTC

[wicketstuff-core] changes in progress to support java5 and java6 modules

Hello,

Since the switch to the new wicketstuff.org hudson build server some
projects haven't been building because they have java6 dependencies.
With the 1.4.10 release occurring soon I need trunk to be building to
cut the release.

I've just committed a change to the wicketstuff-core pom.xml to create
two profiles one for each compiler type.

build-java5-modules
build-java6-modules

I've been copying the structure that was used in the wicket 1.3.x series
to support jdk-1.4 and jdk-1.5.  I don't have sub-directories created
yet but that is probably going to have to be the structure.  something like:

wicketstuff-core/pom.xml (changes to have no modules defined)

wicketstuff-core/jdk-1.5-parent/pom.xml (parent is set to wicketstuff-core)

projects that can be built using java 5 move down into the
jdk-1.5-parent directory.

wicketstuff-core/jdk-1.6-parent/pom.xml (parent is set to wicketstuff-core)

projects that can only be built using java 6 move down into the
jdk-1.6-parent directory.

Then I can create two hudson jobs (one for each compiler) and still be
able to release with the parent having no modules and then the modules
for each compiler defined in each subdirectory.  I should have some time
on wednesday to do the final rearranging and be ready to release a
wicketstuff-core release to match wicket 1.4.10.

I'm also thinking that when 1.5M1 is released we should create a 1.4.x
branch and switch trunk to track 1.5-SNAPSHOT to give lots of time for
the wicketstuff-core projects to switch over to 1.5.

Regards,

Mike

Re: [wicketstuff-core] changes in progress to support java5 and java6 modules

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 4:39 AM, Michael O'Cleirigh <
michael.ocleirigh@rivulet.ca> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Since the switch to the new wicketstuff.org hudson build server some
> projects haven't been building because they have java6 dependencies.  With
> the 1.4.10 release occurring soon I need trunk to be building to cut the
> release.
>
> I've just committed a change to the wicketstuff-core pom.xml to create two
> profiles one for each compiler type.
>
> build-java5-modules
> build-java6-modules
>
> I've been copying the structure that was used in the wicket 1.3.x series to
> support jdk-1.4 and jdk-1.5.  I don't have sub-directories created yet but
> that is probably going to have to be the structure.  something like:
>
> wicketstuff-core/pom.xml (changes to have no modules defined)
>
> wicketstuff-core/jdk-1.5-parent/pom.xml (parent is set to wicketstuff-core)
>
> projects that can be built using java 5 move down into the jdk-1.5-parent
> directory.
>
> wicketstuff-core/jdk-1.6-parent/pom.xml (parent is set to wicketstuff-core)
>
> projects that can only be built using java 6 move down into the
> jdk-1.6-parent directory.
>
> Then I can create two hudson jobs (one for each compiler) and still be able
> to release with the parent having no modules and then the modules for each
> compiler defined in each subdirectory.  I should have some time on wednesday
> to do the final rearranging and be ready to release a wicketstuff-core
> release to match wicket 1.4.10.
>
> I'm also thinking that when 1.5M1 is released we should create a 1.4.x
> branch and switch trunk to track 1.5-SNAPSHOT to give lots of time for the
> wicketstuff-core projects to switch over to 1.5.

I suggest to create a branch for 1.4 and leave trunk empty initially. There
are some API changes and it will take some time until a project is migrated.
I.e. there will be build problems in the beginning.