Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net> on 2012/06/22 23:12:33 UTC

Frequent crashes when opening files with AOO 3.4.0?

I've been facing some weird behavior rather recently (since last week perhaps) on my Vista system with AOO 3.4.0. No OS udpdate that I know of (corporate machine, important updates have to be run manually, some patches applied live but we usually see the script that installs them and it has not been the case for a long time).

I work with files between 1MB and 6MB containing up to 100 pictures embedded (each smaller than 100kB), and a lot of tables (up to 500).
Content is mail pasted in .odt files with removal of most of the formatting. I also use macros to remove any custom style that is not applied so styles number is under control.
It can happen on small .ods files too (the file without being edited previously!).

Crash usually occurs when I open a file or within few seconds (link with repagination?) or as soon as I reach some place (can reproduce the crash easily: if I don't do anything, no crash, the moment I move the cursor to a certain place, crash). If I type something before the crash and save (no need to close), it usually fixes the problem.
Had never experienced such behavior before. Probability is quite the same between small and big files.

Has anyone experienced such problem?
NB: had reset the user profile when installing AOO.

All files are confidential so can't upload any. Can't make a sample one that would reproduce the issue yet so no bug report possible for the moment.
Something not tried yet: reset the profile just after a crash to see if it still crashes with a new profile.
NB: no data loss, either auto-recovery does its job or it occurs before I can type anything.

Hagar

Re: Frequent crashes when opening files with AOO 3.4.0?

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.
Le sam. 23 juin 2012 00:10:10 CEST, Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net> a écrit :
> Le ven. 22 juin 2012 23:26:33 CEST, Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> a écrit :
>>
>> For testing purposes and upload could you not change every character to x (I remember a regular expression in the Forum to do that) and replace all photos with something non private?
>>
> No time yet for such testing, there would be too much to be changed (text is easy to replace, pics are another story).
> I'll try with a new profile next time it happens. Since it's work documents, I'd like to avoid tweaking them, even copies. But will try to make a fake document and see if I can reproduce it.

I've had not enough time to investigate it deeply but I found that the file itself is not the culprit:
- Opened a file that triggers the behavior within very few seconds on current profile: crash (expected)
- Renamed the profile: no crash
- Reactivated the former profile: crash (expected)
- Renamed registrymodification.xcu: no crash

I wanted to remove parts of the registrymodification.xcu file to see if I could spot something in a specific part of it (like recent documents history for example) but no time and I had to give back the Vista machine...

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Frequent crashes when opening files with AOO 3.4.0?

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.
Le sam. 23 juin 2012 00:06:40 CEST, Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de> a écrit :
> There were some reports and I had the problem too. In all cases the problem was solved by removing the file registrymodifications.xcu, which then will be recreated with the next AOO start. But you have mentioned, that you have start with a new profile, so I'm not sure whether your problem is the same.

But it can prevent the come back to the previous situation if you want to retrieve the macros for example!
So renaming the rm.xcu can have some insidious side effects if you think that you'll be able to reinstate the initial configuration.

Some discussion here: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=106&t=54784

Posted by Regina Henschel <rb...@t-online.de>.
Hi Hagar,

Hagar Delest schrieb:
> I've been facing some weird behavior rather recently (since last week
> perhaps) on my Vista system with AOO 3.4.0. No OS udpdate that I know of
> (corporate machine, important updates have to be run manually, some
> patches applied live but we usually see the script that installs them
> and it has not been the case for a long time).
>
> I work with files between 1MB and 6MB containing up to 100 pictures
> embedded (each smaller than 100kB), and a lot of tables (up to 500).
> Content is mail pasted in .odt files with removal of most of the
> formatting. I also use macros to remove any custom style that is not
> applied so styles number is under control.
> It can happen on small .ods files too (the file without being edited
> previously!).
>
> Crash usually occurs when I open a file or within few seconds (link with
> repagination?) or as soon as I reach some place (can reproduce the crash
> easily: if I don't do anything, no crash, the moment I move the cursor
> to a certain place, crash). If I type something before the crash and
> save (no need to close), it usually fixes the problem.
> Had never experienced such behavior before. Probability is quite the
> same between small and big files.
>
> Has anyone experienced such problem?

There were some reports and I had the problem too. In all cases the
problem was solved by removing the file registrymodifications.xcu, which
then will be recreated with the next AOO start. But you have mentioned,
that you have start with a new profile, so I'm not sure whether your
problem is the same.

Kind regards
Regina