Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Ivelin Ivanov <iv...@apache.org> on 2003/01/18 19:49:42 UTC

Next Release

Unless I missed a major announcement,
seems like we have slipped on the release plan once again.
Alpha was due in December.
Are we going to do something about it?
What is holding us from announcing Alpha?

December 2002 : 2.0.4 (bug fix release)
December 2002 : 2.1 Alpha
End of February 2003 : 2.1 Beta 1
On request : 2.0.5 (bug fix release)

-=Ivelin=-

RE: Next Release

Posted by Murray Cumming <mu...@t-online.de>.
On Tue, 2003-01-21 at 12:49, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Hi Ivelin,
>
> it seems that only you and me are concerned about an alpha release.
> As long as noone else is interested in it, well doing it for
> two lonely dorks (thanks Stefano!) seems not justified.

Please, please, please do releases.

--
Murray Cumming
murray@usa.net

RE: Next Release

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> We've always said that alpha-status means that APIs can change. So
> what's the purpose of making an alpha release ?
>
> Well, this has more to do with marketing and public relations : an alpha
> release shows to the outside world that some work is happening on
> something new and that some level of runtime stability has been reached
> on this new thing.

Absolutely, thanks Sylvain.

Now, guess which question is asked most if you talk about Cocoon: when will
2.1 released? There are many users already using Cocoon 2.1-dev and they
want an official release.
With an alpha release we show that we are trying to reach this.

> So I'm +0 on an alpha release !

I think, if the flow problems are solved we could also make a beta release
as it seems that most other parts are stable now.

The problem with a release is, that I guess (although I haven't tested it
yet) that the build system is not correctly building the distribution
anymore. And we have to decide what the binary dist will be etc. With
the recent changes (which are excellent) of the blocks and mocks, this
has become a little bit more difficult. So we need some work to be done
here.

Carsten

Re: Next Release

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Well, I didn't vote "-1" to a release. I just said that I considered
> it somewhat premature to release something in the middle of a design
> discussion.
>
> I'm not stopping anybody from releasing, but I want to be perfectly
> clear that I won't personally consider making *any* single effort for
> back-compatibility until we reach beta state.

We've always said that alpha-status means that APIs can change. So
what's the purpose of making an alpha release ?

Well, this has more to do with marketing and public relations : an alpha
release shows to the outside world that some work is happening on
something new and that some level of runtime stability has been reached
on this new thing.

So I'm +0 on an alpha release !

Sylvain

Re: Next Release

Posted by Andrew Savory <an...@luminas.co.uk>.
On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Well, I didn't vote "-1" to a release. I just said that I considered it
> somewhat premature to release something in the middle of a design
> discussion.

Fair comment. I was hoping the discussion would be over before the alpha.

> I'm not stopping anybody from releasing, but I want to be perfectly
> clear that I won't personally consider making *any* single effort for
> back-compatibility until we reach beta state.

I don't think anyone would suggest back-compatibility for an alpha: but an
alpha will hopefully get us on the road to a beta, and I'd love to see 2.1
released as "stable" in the next 6 months or so (it's hard to convince
people that using the CVS version is safe).

> I feel that everybody who should be interested in an alpha version has
> enough CVS knowledge to know how to get it.

Time for me to start submitting bug reports I guess :-)

Andrew.

Re: Next Release

Posted by Michael Melhem <mi...@fztig938.bank.dresdner.net>.
On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 12:54:05PM +0000, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Andrew Savory wrote:
> >On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> >

> I feel that everybody who should be interested in an alpha version has
> enough CVS knowledge to know how to get it.

FYI, cvs 2.1 trunk (as of late last year) seems to working fine
for us in production, with approx 4000 users a day. So on a whole
I would say core trunk code is pretty stable.

Regards,
Michael

Re: Next Release

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@dff.st>.
<snip/>

 > I feel that everybody who should be interested in an alpha version
has > enough CVS knowledge to know how to get it.

> Everybody else that is just too lazy/scared to check it out, will also
> be, potentially, the one pissed if we change something down the road to
> beta stage.

I couldn't agree more..
--
Torsten

Re: Next Release

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Stefano Mazzocchi" <st...@apache.org> wrote:

> I'm not stopping anybody from releasing, but I want to be perfectly
> clear that I won't personally consider making *any* single effort for
> back-compatibility until we reach beta state.

I agree with Stefano on this...

Well, actually the HTTPD and APR "rules" (over which I "evaluate" how a good
and well-established community does its releases cycles), freezes the API
before declaring an Alpha release...

For example, APR (which is released with HTTPD) had some small design
mistakes, and to change those, one can't preserve backward compatibility.

This is why pretty soon there will be an HTTPD 2.1 and APR 1.0, not because
of any major improvement, or of any new feature, but because some code will
be backward-incompatible for those API design flaws... HTTPD 2.0 and APR 0.9
will keep going with their design flaws, and are stable, but...

Well, you see my point...

    Pier

Re: Next Release

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Andrew Savory wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>

>>it seems that only you and me are concerned about an alpha release.
>

> Didn't want to flood you with an AOL-style barrage of "me too!". But, uh,
> me too!
>

>>As long as noone else is interested in it, well doing it for
>>two lonely dorks (thanks Stefano!) seems not justified.
>

> Oh, ok, maybe not. Don't wanna be a lonely dork ;-)

Well, I didn't vote "-1" to a release. I just said that I considered it
somewhat premature to release something in the middle of a design
discussion.

I'm not stopping anybody from releasing, but I want to be perfectly
clear that I won't personally consider making *any* single effort for
back-compatibility until we reach beta state.

If you feel this is not a problem, go ahead and release.

I feel that everybody who should be interested in an alpha version has
enough CVS knowledge to know how to get it.

Everybody else that is just too lazy/scared to check it out, will also
be, potentially, the one pissed if we change something down the road to
beta stage.

Or maybe I'm wrong. That's why this is a '-0' and not a '-1' on
releasing an alpha vesion.

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <st...@apache.org>

RE: Next Release

Posted by Andrew Savory <an...@luminas.co.uk>.

RE: Next Release

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Hi Ivelin,
>
> it seems that only you and me are concerned about an alpha release.
> As long as noone else is interested in it, well doing it for
> two lonely dorks (thanks Stefano!) seems not justified.

I think I, as wel, like to have the flow stuff fixed (semantically)
before doing a release. Stefano mentioned this more than once IIRC.

>From this perspective it doesn't make much sense to build a release (even
alpha) and three weeks later we've come to a conclusion way off of what
was right in the alpha release.

Giacomo

RE: Next Release

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.