Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com> on 2017/12/12 18:20:41 UTC

Java editor

Hello,

Today, we were talking with Jarda (jtulach) and Geertjan about what do we
do with the Java support for the beta release.

I think the proposal is roughly like this:
-the jdk-javac branch will be updated to
--allow the IDE to start on JDK 8, with javac based Java features disabled
(as best as we can, some exceptions might still happen, which we will
resolve as we find them).
--when running on JDK 8, there will be a notification/popup/dialog that the
Java features are disabled and that the IDE either needs to run on JDK 9 or
later, or the additional nb-javac module must be installed (the latter
being preferred, a "link" to perform the action included)
--when running on JDK 9, show (once?) a notification/popup that the IDE's
behavior may improve by installing the additional nb-javac module.
-critical problems with the jdk-javac branch that we find should be fixed
-a pull request to merge the jdk-javac branch into master will be sent

(Jarda, please correct me if I missed something.)

Are there any comments/objections/help offers to this proposal?

I'd like to get to this later this week.

Thanks,
    Jan

Re: Java editor

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 11:12 AM, Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>
wrote:

> +1 from me as well, with one somewhat self-centred caveat - I assume that
> derivative IDEs not bound by Apache distribution restriction can ship
> nb-javac included as normal without this behaviour having any outward
> effect?

I think the plan is that if nb-javac is present, things should work as much
as possible as they do now.

Jan

Re: Java editor

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Re: Java editor

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Java editor

Posted by Josh Juneau <ju...@gmail.com>.
+1, I like the plan.

Josh Juneau
juneau001@gmail.com
http://jj-blogger.blogspot.com
https://www.apress.com/index.php/author/author/view/id/1866

Re: Java editor

Posted by Sven Reimers <sv...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Re: Java editor

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
With #326 only the nb-javac GPL warnings remain in verify-libs-and-licenses.

Next stop: LICENSE/NOTICE/DEPENDENCIES/README.

Cheers,
Antonio

https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/pull/326

Re: Java editor

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.

Re: Java editor

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.

AW: Java editor

Posted by Christian Lenz <ch...@gmx.net>.
+1 Some IDEs like IntelliJ or VS Code, uses such Feature, to install missing dependencies, when they know, that you are using a Feature, which is not supported out of the box. But they don’t have a license issue, they do it, because it is a nice Handy way to say, hey we figured out, that you are using a Feature which is not supported out of the box but here you can install it right from our DIE to use it. You can test it with VS Code, open a Java file and Code will tell you, that you can install the Java Extension pack, which uses, I don’t know.

So sounds promising for me too 😊

Re: Java editor

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
+1 as well.

Re: Java editor

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Argh!, I forgot to rm -rf $HOME/.netbeans/dev !!

Seems to be working now.

Thanks,
Antonio

P.S.: Intructions for others wishing to try out the jdk-javac branch in
their github forks:

a) Fetch from upstream
git fetch

b) Create a local branch named "jdk-javac" from Apache's jdk-javac
git checkout -b jdk-javac upstream/jdk-javac

c) Push your local branch to your fork (origin)
git push -u origin jdk-javac

Re: Java editor

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.

Re: Java editor

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.
Hi,

Re: Java editor

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hi Jan,

I ran master + PR-331 + PR-336 through a quick spin. I successfully did
a small refactoring (method rename) in the JNA codebase (the same as
the one that resulted in exceptions in the previous spin).

All runs works without exceptions (the JDK8 without nb-javac did not
offer refactoring of course).

Thank you!

Happy holidays all around.

Matthias

Re: Java editor

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Another link for those interested in understanding the background of this
discussion:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Java+Editor+Using+JDK+javac

Gj

On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 12:18 PM, Geertjan Wielenga <

Re: Java editor

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Sure, makes sense, let’s leave it the way you have done it now.

Would be good to have a list of all the issues that need to be fixed for
javac from JDK 9 to work perfectly.

By the way, is there anything blocking us from doing a VOTE thread for the
Beta release at this point? To me, seems like we’re ready.

Thanks,

Gj

Re: Java editor

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi Geertjan,

Re: Java editor

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 17 Dec 2017, 11:18 Geertjan Wielenga, <
geertjan.wielenga@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I think if JDK 9 is used, since javac from the JDK is then used, we should
> leave it at that and not tell the user to install nb-javac.

That's not what Jan's original message says - JDK javac only used if
nb-javac not installed. Doing otherwise would give everyone on JDK 9 a
worse editing experience, right?

Best wishes,

Neil

> --
Neil C Smith
Artist & Technologist
www.neilcsmith.net

Re: Java editor

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Java editor

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Java editor

Posted by Peter Steele <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: Java editor

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Apache+NetBeans+9.0+Beta

Re: Java editor

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hey Jan,

Am Sonntag, den 17.12.2017, 21:48 +0100 schrieb Jan Lahoda:
> Thanks Matthias. Thanks for the tests. I'll look at the exceptions,
> although I cannot promise all of them are fixable (in NetBeans).
> Also, if
> you'd have specific steps to reproduce the Assertionerror on
> Assert:155,
> that'd be helpful.

This happens when I open the MemoryTest unittest of JNA in the freshly
build netbeans installation.

You can grab the sourcecode for JNA from github:

https://github.com/java-native-access/jna.git

I was on master when I tested.

There is a freeform project in the main directory - that is the project
I have open and from which I open the MemoryTest.java file.

Maybe that helps.

Greetings

Matthias

Re: Java editor

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Matthias. Thanks for the tests. I'll look at the exceptions,
although I cannot promise all of them are fixable (in NetBeans). Also, if
you'd have specific steps to reproduce the Assertionerror on Assert:155,
that'd be helpful.

On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 12:01 PM, Matthias Bläsing <
mblaesing@doppel-helix.eu> wrote:

> Hey Jan,
>
> Am Sonntag, den 17.12.2017, 09:20 +0100 schrieb Jan Lahoda:
> >
> > I've updated the jdk-javac branch (in the incubator-netbeans repository)
> > run on JDK 8 even without nb-javac, and show a dialog (on the first run)
> or
> > a notification to install nb-javac (or run on JDK 9). My plan is to make
> > pass through the patch and send a pull request. But it would be helpful
> if
> > someone would be willing to try the branch and provide feedback if
> needed.
> >

> I gave it very short spin on OpenJDK 8 and Oracle JDK 9:
>
>  * Both the dialog and the notification were triggered correctly. This
>    looks good.
>  * With the nbjavacc thinks looked as expected - it just worked on JDK
>    8 and 9
>  * With JDK8 and without the nbjavacc module as expected most functions
>    were deactivated. While running I got exceptions when I opened the
>    JNA codebase (a netbeans free-form project). I attached the
>    messages.log as "messages-without-nbjavacc-jdk8.log"
>  * With JDK9 I hit assertions and got exceptions. The messages.log is
>    attached as "messages-without-nbjavacc-jdk9.log" and the referenced
>    MemoryTest.dump is also attached.
>
> All tests were run with a clean userdir. I hope that helps a bit.
>
> As an afterthought: Our distribution problem comes from licensing
> decisions for the javac. Could ECJ be an alternative?

I guess anyone can experiment/work on anything. But, knowing how much
effort it was to re-write the Java support last time, I don't think that's
something I'd personally want to do (esp. unless there are good technical
reasons to do so).

Jan

Re: Java editor

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu>.
Hey Jan,

Re: Java editor

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Java editor

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 9:52 PM, William L. Thomson Jr. <wl...@o-sinc.com>
wrote:

> Sorry to jump in here. May not be clear on the following, so please
> excuse if I am off topic, etc.
>
> On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 19:20:41 +0100
> Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Today, we were talking with Jarda (jtulach) and Geertjan about what
> > do we do with the Java support for the beta release.
> >
> > I think the proposal is roughly like this:
> > -the jdk-javac branch will be updated to
> > --allow the IDE to start on JDK 8, with javac based Java features
> > disabled (as best as we can, some exceptions might still happen,
> > which we will resolve as we find them).
>
> Not sure I am clear with what your saying. I think I am at that point
> with my Netbeans 9 from source on Java/jDK 9, not using ant, etc. I
> have mostly working IDE less javac features. Which basically cripples
> most function, no syntax highlighting for any language, etc.

Not having (a suitable) javac should not affect other non-Java based
languages, but for Java, most features are missing indeed. But, if the
(hopefully) upcoming change, NetBeans should be able to use javac from the
JDK on JDK 9 or later, so at least some support for these features.

> > --when running on JDK 8, there will be a notification/popup/dialog
> > that the Java features are disabled and that the IDE either needs to
> > run on JDK 9 or later, or the additional nb-javac module must be
> > installed (the latter being preferred, a "link" to perform the action
> > included) --when running on JDK 9, show (once?) a notification/popup
> > that the IDE's behavior may improve by installing the additional
> > nb-javac module. -critical problems with the jdk-javac branch that we
> > find should be fixed -a pull request to merge the jdk-javac branch
> > into master will be sent
>
> Not sure what you mean here. The nb-javac presently has build and
> likely run issues with Java 9. As does its dependent lib.nbjavac. Which
> is where I ran into my first Java 9 issue. With a class being private
> now that was public, causing access issues. That is not resolved with
> using --release 8. Not sure if built under 8 if it would run under 9 or
> not. I may need to test that out.
>
> Specifically
> LazyDocCommentTable.Entry is private now
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/blob/
> master/lib.nbjavac/src/org/netbeans/lib/nbjavac/services/
> PartialReparser.java#L78
> https://github.com/dmlloyd/openjdk/blob/jdk10/master/src/
> jdk.compiler/share/classes/com/sun/tools/javac/parser/
> LazyDocCommentTable.java#L46
>
> That is the only error with lib.nbjavac under JDK 9. However nbjavac
> itself has a number of similar issues. I am not sure how many of those
> can be addressed yet till I get lib.nbjavac packaged. Since its a
> dependency of nbjavac. Seems like nbjavac has similar access issues.

Building nb-javac on JDK 9 may be challenging. Easiest may be to use simply
"-source 8" (not "--release 8", as --release only has a public API and
javac depends on sun.reflect.annotation). For compilation with -source 9,
one might need to play with --patch-module and --add-exports, etc.

Please note that lib.nbjavac depends on (nb-)javac, not vice versa. The
exact details are changed in the jdk-javac branch, so the lib.nbjavac and
other modules (except for the upcoming java.source.nbjavac) should
hopefully compile against JDK 9's javac on that branch, but some
--add-exports may be needed. (The ant build compiles on JDK 8, using JDK9's
javac as a library (jar) and prepends it to the bootclasspath using
-Xbootclasspath/p:<path>, so that's the other option, but requires -source
8.)

Jan

Re: Java editor

Posted by "William L. Thomson Jr." <wl...@o-sinc.com>.