Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by lina Zhang <tr...@hotmail.com> on 2018/04/25 14:47:25 UTC

How does the stopwords file work?

Hello,

I am trying to create a domain specific search engine. As most of the collected information contains ‘NDIS', I added 'NDIS' to stopwords_en.txt. The field type is text_en, so it should use StopFilterFactory based on the schema. If I search for ‘ipad’, I can get the results I need. When I try to search for ‘NDIS ipad’, I got no result. The final query string is as below:
   "parsedquery_toString":"Synonym(_text_:ipad _text_:ipads)"
If I search for ‘ipad NDIS’, I also got what I need. But the final query string is this:
   "parsedquery_toString":"Synonym(Question:ipad Question:ipad) _text_:ndis"

Could someone explain the differences of the three queries? Will the first word being a stop word cause problem?

Thanks,
Lina