Posted to user@hive.apache.org by vivek veeramani <vi...@gmail.com> on 2015/04/01 14:54:03 UTC

CamelCase using InitCap Function in Hive 0.13

Hi,

I'm a relatively new user to Hive and was trying to format a column of
String datatype from Uppercase to Camel-case. I could see the INITCAP()
function in the language manual, and also could find related notes on JIRA
stating it is available. But for some reason when I run my query it shows
an invalid function error, and the show functions does not list the
function. I'm running Hive 0.13. Is there any setting I need to enable
this?

Please advice what needs to be done in order to use this function.

--
Thanks in advance,
Vivek Veeramani

cell : +91-9632 975 975
        +91-9895 277 101

Re: CamelCase using InitCap Function in Hive 0.13

Posted by Alexander Pivovarov <ap...@gmail.com>.
Vivek,

You can see the version in two places
1.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/Hive/LanguageManual+UDF#LanguageManualUDF-StringFunctions

string    initcap(string A)    Returns string, with the first letter of
each word in uppercase, all other letters in lowercase. Words are delimited
by whitespace. (As of Hive 1.1.0.)  if you click on 1.1.0 it will open
HIVE-3405 JIRA

2.  if you open https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HIVE-3405
it also says Fix Version/s: 1.1.0

HIVE-3405 code commit is here