Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by ad...@usachurch.com on 2003/08/23 09:13:45 UTC

>> tomcat4 / jk2 / apache2 / mod_rewrite <<

hello list,

I have a working apache2/tomcat/jk2 setup that is running 1 webapp.
(this setup is running on RedHat9 if that matters...)

My search engine optimization company is asking us to use mod_rewrite
to make the URLs more SE friendly.  So, we are trying to get mod_rewrite
setup to do just that.

mod_rewrite is installed by default, so that was easy.
We actually got mod_rewrite to work by mapping a URL to a file here:

http://usachurch.com/arizona/phoenix/

which is a non-existent location being mapped to the webapp via:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule   ^/arizona/phoenix/(.*)   /usachurch/$1

but, (if you check out that link) the index.jsp page is being served by
apache and not Tomcat4.  I have tried adding things like this to the
workers2.properties file:

[uri:*/arizona/phoenix*]
worker=ajp13:localhost:8009

but, tomcat just doesn't know to serve this page.
even this:

http://usachurch.com/arizona/phoenix/index.jsp

isn't served by tomcat.  and all .jsp pages are served by tomcat.
It seems that because mod_rewrite is touching the request, tomcat
isn't doing anything.

now, I already checked out this page:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/jk2/jk2/vhosthowto.html

and many others like it on the jakarta site.  but, I just can't seem
to figure out
what to do.  as you can probably tell, I'm quite the novice java system admin.

Any ideas?

thanks,
devin