Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> on 2006/12/05 14:22:10 UTC

[Fwd: Call for Papers Opens for ApacheCon Europe 2007]

Apache are looking for talks at next summer's European ApacheCon.

There's a big EU presence in the dev and user groups, so I'm sure we can
put together some talks.  Indeed, I think we ought to, otherwise the
conference is full of Maven presentations, and while I value them (esp.
Jason's), I dont want the world to forget that ant still has market
dominance of the java build problem.

1. If we can get Xavier to introduce Ivy, that would be great.
2. Having given the Ant 1.7 talk in 2005 (!) I could either give an
update, or focus on something more esoteric, like 'scripting and testing'
3. Maybe its someone else's time to give a presentation. That way I get
to sit in the audience making faces instead of having Stefan and Jan do
the same for me.

-Steve

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Xavier Hanin wrote:
> On 12/5/06, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:
>>

>> Apache are looking for talks at next summer's European ApacheCon.
>>
>> There's a big EU presence in the dev and user groups, so I'm sure we can
>> put together some talks.  Indeed, I think we ought to, otherwise the
>> conference is full of Maven presentations, and while I value them (esp.
>> Jason's), I dont want the world to forget that ant still has market
>> dominance of the java build problem.
>>
>> 1. If we can get Xavier to introduce Ivy, that would be great.
>

> I would love to! I will be pretty busy until the end of next week, but then
> I'll have more time to prepare a short abstract. If you agree we'll discuss
> that further on the ivy-dev list, maybe some other people could help, as
> you
> know my english is pretty poor.

The audience will be international. Java, they all understand. Nobody
understands XML schema or namespaces. You'll do just fine :)

Re: [Fwd: Call for Papers Opens for ApacheCon Europe 2007]

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 12/5/06, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:

> Apache are looking for talks at next summer's European ApacheCon.
>
> There's a big EU presence in the dev and user groups, so I'm sure we can
> put together some talks.  Indeed, I think we ought to, otherwise the
> conference is full of Maven presentations, and while I value them (esp.
> Jason's), I dont want the world to forget that ant still has market
> dominance of the java build problem.
>
> 1. If we can get Xavier to introduce Ivy, that would be great.

I would love to! I will be pretty busy until the end of next week, but then
I'll have more time to prepare a short abstract. If you agree we'll discuss
that further on the ivy-dev list, maybe some other people could help, as you
know my english is pretty poor.

Xavier

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Dec 2006, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> 3. Maybe its someone else's time to give a presentation. That way I
>> get to sit in the audience making faces instead of having Stefan and
>> Jan do the same for me.
>
> I promise to not make faces for anybody else but Steve.

I managed to interrupt the Maven talk last summer by pouring water over
my laptop.  It was not intentional. Jason managed to completely ignore
the person in the front row swearing, ripping out his batteries in a
hurry and shaking the keyboard until the wateer came back outl

Re: [Fwd: Call for Papers Opens for ApacheCon Europe 2007]

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 05 Dec 2006, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:

> 3. Maybe its someone else's time to give a presentation. That way I
> get to sit in the audience making faces instead of having Stefan and
> Jan do the same for me.

I promise to not make faces for anybody else but Steve.

Stefan

Re: [Fwd: Call for Papers Opens for ApacheCon Europe 2007]

Posted by Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com>.
> Apache are looking for talks at next summer's European ApacheCon.

[snip]

I'd love to, but I'm constrained financially right now.  If I get
backing from my company then I'd love to give a talk/presentation
about ant + scripting or antunit.

I agree we can't let the maven folks dominate the EU talks ;)

Kev