Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Michael Smith <mi...@chat.za.net> on 2014/09/25 21:43:59 UTC

Blocked threads on hbase, slowly increasing, appears to be updating metrics

Hi All,

Having the problem below, I dont know how to troubleshoot it further, but I
can provide any required information. Running CDH 4.3.0.0 aka 0.94.6 on
RHEL 6.2

Hbase shows an increasing number of IPC Threads in BLOCKED state

Hundreds of these,more and more appearing over hours, performance
degrading, requiring regionserver restart to restore performance.

Thread 421 (IPC Server handler 368 on 60201):
State: BLOCKED
Blocked count: 19314
Waited count: 322565
Blocked on org.apache.hadoop.metrics.util.MetricsIntValue@1ec5ca55
Blocked by 236 (IPC Server handler 183 on 60201)
Stack:
org.apache.hadoop.metrics.util.MetricsIntValue.set(MetricsIntValue.java:73)
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseServer.updateCallQueueLenMetrics(HBaseServer.java:1360)
org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseServer$Handler.run(HBaseServer.java:1399)

i dont actually know how to troubleshoot this much further... Happy to take
suggestions...

The attached graph shows the increasing number of blocked threads. The
massive drops, are when we do rolling restarts of all the regionservers.
You then see the number of blocked threads slowly starting to grow.

We determine the number of blocked threads, by hitting the web interface,
ie <host:60030>/dump, and then for each thread, counting the number of

Analysis of the Blocked threads, has revealed its blocked on updating
Metrics