Posted to docs-dev@perl.apache.org by Kemin Zhou <kz...@san.rr.com> on 2004/10/18 06:58:52 UTC

Addition to dynamic linking

Here is a summary of my email with Stas.  Stas help me with a problem.
This case may be of general importance, as suggested by Stas, So I am
submitting it with a text file modperl.doc as attachment.

If you have any question please let me know.

Kemin

Re: Addition to dynamic linking

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Kemin Zhou wrote:
> Here is a summary of my email with Stas.  Stas help me with a problem.
> This case may be of general importance, as suggested by Stas, So I am
> submitting it with a text file modperl.doc as attachment.
>
> If you have any question please let me know.

Thanks Kemin for your submission. I guess you have missed the request to
submit it as a patch against:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/config.pod.orig

since it was already documented, all was missing is a warning, which I've
now added:

One thing to be aware of is that when you start Apache under a shell
different than the one you are logged in from, the environment
variables could be totally different, so don't be surprised if you get
a different value when using C<Passenv>/C<PerlPassEnv> or none at
all. Check the environment Apache is started from. Often it's started
from a special account like I<apache>, or I<nobody>, and can be
anything else. Check the value of C<User> variable in I<httpd.conf> to
find out the right answer. Once you figure that out, make sure that
the shell Apache starts from has the desired environment variables
right. And may be it's a better idea not to rely on the shell
variables, but instead set those explicitly using
C<Setenv>/C<PerlSetEnv>.

So please review the current version:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/config.html#PerlSetEnv_and_PerlPassEnv
and if you have any additions please send a patch against:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/config.pod.orig

Thank you.

 > I just got laid off, and needs to find the job.

You may want to post a job request email to the modperl list. Those and
job offers are always welcome there.
and also check: http://perl.apache.org/jobs/jobs.html
Good luck, Kemin!