Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by "James A.s. Trimbee" <tr...@cmu.edu> on 2013/06/26 22:45:18 UTC

Stuck after creating Linux Base Image (KVM)

I captured a base image successfully following the instructions on the wiki here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/VCL/Create+a+Linux+Base+Image

I have followed the procedure up to and including adding the image to an image group, but I'm not getting any further.

The VM guest I captured the image from now shows a state of 'reload', and while I can request a reload, nothing appears to happen. I note that the original KVM guest is deleted from the hypervisor after imaging has taken place - is this normal? The image file is all that remains. I can restart it the long way (using virsh or virt-manager) so the image file itself is good, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong on the VCL end.

There's a suggestion in vcld.log that there is an outstanding reservation, but I cleared them all in the web interface.

My objective was to capture an image, redeploy it, and update it then redeploy it again.

What is supposed to happen after a successful capture? I feel like I'm missing a step, and dead guest VM seems suspicious to me.

Rgds

James

Re: Stuck after creating Linux Base Image (KVM)

Posted by Aaron Peeler <fa...@ncsu.edu>.
Very cool, glad to hear.

Yes you can go ahead and clean out those reservations that are in
maintenance(stateid=10) and the ones that are scheduled for
tomaintenance(stateid=18), this will remove the clutter from the db.

to delete the maintenance reservations.
mysql> DELETE request where stateid=10;

to delete the ones on  tomaintenance state
mysql> DELETE request where stateid=18;

Cheers,
Aaron

Posted by Aaron Peeler <fa...@ncsu.edu>.
If you would please run the below statement at the mysql cmdline and
send me the output. Just want to make sure there is nothing else in
the database request and reservation tables.

select request.id,request.stateid,reservation.requestid,reservation.computerid
from request,reservation;

Details on how to run this sql statement database server, I'm assuming
your using one server for web,db and vcld code.

as root:
run mysql to get the mysql cmdline you will see the prompt change to mysql>

Change to the vcl database.
mysql> use vcl;

query the request and reservation table

mysql> select request.id,request.stateid,reservation.requestid,reservation.computerid

Posted by "James A.s. Trimbee" <tr...@cmu.edu>.
Hi Aaron,

Posted by Aaron Peeler <fa...@ncsu.edu>.
James,

Correction, with Andy's assistance we noticed that you have some older
stale reservations in the database that will prevent a reload. These
are left over from previous attempts of running vcld --setup. If any
new reservation or reload request detects a conflict it will stop the
processing.

Simply delete those reservation entries from the database request
table either using phpmyadmin, at the mysql cmd line or another tool.
If needed I can provide a cmdline mysql statement to delete those for
you, just let me know.

Aaron

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 9:30 AM, Aaron Peeler <fa...@ncsu.edu> wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> I was able to see the full log output in the file you attached, no
> need to use pastebin now. Also good to know they have a line
> limit......
>
> One thing I noticed in the log file, after a image capture the node
> should get reloaded automatically. It didn't happen in this case, for
> some reason the state of the computer did not get changed.
>
> I recommend to. Go to:
> manage computers
> select Select All computers
> make sure computer utilities is selected
> hit submit
>
> Make sure computenode1 is set to available.
>
>>> The wiki states "You must add the image to an image group using the VCL website after the image capture process is complete.  Reservations for the image cannot be made until this is done.  To add the image to an image group, browse to the VCL website and select Manage Images > Edit Image Grouping." What's meant to happen after this step?
>>>

> On your new image, yes it will need to be mapped correctly. The reason
> for this mapping is that VCL supports the ability to run different
> types of images under the same VCL instance, kvm, vmware, virtual box,
> bare metal and standalone lab machines, and hopefully in the future
> openstack, cloudstack on so on. This image to computer mapping is the
> method to correctly have images land on the correct subset of
> computer resources in your VCL infrastructure. By default, we have
> made a couple of initial mappings for you, allVMimages is mapped to
> All VM computers.
> allimages is mapped to allComputers
>
> Once you add you new image to the allVMimages  then you should be able
> to test it out either through the computer reload or through making a
> new reservation.
>
> Aaron
>

> --
> Aaron Peeler
> Program Manager
> Virtual Computing Lab
> NC State University

Aaron Peeler
Program Manager
Virtual Computing Lab
NC State University

Re: Stuck after creating Linux Base Image (KVM)

Posted by Aaron Peeler <fa...@ncsu.edu>.
Hi James,

Posted by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu>.
James