Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by galaft wang <ga...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/13 09:23:03 UTC

[users@httpd] How to ignore common name during client certificate verification?

Hi,

As we know, directive SSLVerifyClient in mod_ssl can be used for Client
Authentication

SSLVerifyClient require

It means the client *has to* present a valid Certificate

However, for specific purpose, I only want to verify: whether client's
certificate is issued by trusted CA.
I do not want to verify common name in client's certificate.
In another word, if the client certificate is issued by trusted CA, even its
common name is not matched, we can also consider this client certificate is
valid.

How to configure Apache for such purpose? Thanks!

Br,
Jason

Re: [users@httpd] How to ignore common name during client certificate verification?

Posted by Subhasis Rath <ra...@gmail.com>.
All Apache needs is to trust the CA which issued the client cert

SR

Posted by galaft wang <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by galaft wang <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Normally, CN would be IP address of the client, if client IP do not match
its certificate CN, Apache would deny its request. This is used in highly
secured network.

But we do not need such strict security configuration, we just need to
verify whether the client certificate is issued by trusted CA. If yes,
accept client, if not, deny client.

So, I just need to verify client certificates "partly", what can I do?

Br,
Jason

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.