Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by bgaillard <ba...@gomoob.com> on 2014/01/25 10:08:11 UTC

Changing Hawtio Web Console password does not work

Hi, I've just downloaded ActiveMQ 5.9.0 and install it as a Linux Service on
an Amazon EC2 32bits machine.

I have an access to the Hawtio Web console and can login using the admin /
admin credentials as explained on the ActiveMQ Web Site :

> From ActiveMQ 5.8 onwards the web apps is secured out of the box.
> The default username and password is admin/admin. You can configure this
> in the conf/jetty-real.properties file

Because having admin / admin as credentials is not really secure I want to
change them. But changing the credentials inside the
conf/jetty-realm.properties file does not work.

For example using the following configuration :

# Defines users that can access the web (console, demo, etc.)
# username: password [,rolename ...]
admin: aaaa, admin
user: user, user

I'm expecting to being able to login using the admin / aaaa credentials, but
using those credentials simply returns a HTTP 403 error. Oddly this
configuration still allow me to login using the admin / admin credentials.

If I change the conf/jetty-realm.properties file using this same problem (I
can login using admin / admin but not bbbb / aaaa) :

# Defines users that can access the web (console, demo, etc.)
# username: password [,rolename ...]
bbbb: aaaa, admin
user: user, user

My ActiveMQ install is "classical", I've installed it as a Linux service
using the following commands :

sudo bin/activemq setup /etc/default/activemq
  INFO: Creating configuration file: /etc/default/activemq
  INFO: It's recommend to limit access to '/etc/default/activemq' to the
priviledged user
  INFO: (recommended: chown 'root':nogroup '/etc/default/activemq'; chmod
600 '/etc/default/activemq')

sudo chgrp ec2-user /etc/default/activemq
sudo chmod 600 /etc/default/activemq

cd apache-activemq-5.9.0
sudo bin/activemq start

I should point out that each time I changed the credentials I restarted the
server using 'sudo service activemq restart'.

So, do you know what could be the problem ?

Thanks,

Baptiste

Re: Changing Hawtio Web Console password does not work

Posted by bgaillard <ba...@gomoob.com>.
Hi, thanks a lot for your help,

I've now a secured Hawtio console :-)

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

See the docs/WebConsole-README.txt that explains that there are 2
differnen set of files for configuring users in the old and new hawtio
console.

In the new console using hawtio, you can configure the default users, in the
conf/users.properties, and conf/groups.properties files.

Claus Ibsen
Red Hat, Inc.
Email: cibsen@redhat.com
Twitter: davsclaus