Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2015/06/05 11:24:09 UTC

[ANNOUNCEMENT] HttpComponents Client 4.5 GA Released

The Apache HttpComponents project is pleased to announce 4.5 GA release
of HttpComponents HttpClient.

HttpClient 4.5 (GA) is a minor feature release that includes several
incremental enhancements to the existing functionality such as support
for private domains in the Mozilla Public Suffix List.

Users of HttpClient 4.x are advised to upgrade.

Download -
<http://hc.apache.org/downloads.cgi>
Release notes -
<https://www.apache.org/dist/httpcomponents/httpclient/RELEASE_NOTES-4.4.x.txt>
HttpComponents site -
<http://hc.apache.org/>

About HttpComponents HttpClient

The Hyper-Text Transfer Protocol (HTTP) is perhaps the most significant
protocol used on the Internet today. Web services, network-enabled
appliances and the growth of network computing continue to expand the
role of the HTTP protocol beyond user-driven web browsers, while
increasing the number of applications that require HTTP support.

Although the java.net package provides basic functionality for accessing
resources via HTTP, it doesn't provide the full flexibility or
functionality needed by many applications. HttpClient seeks to fill this
void by providing an efficient, up-to-date, and feature-rich package
implementing the client side of the most recent HTTP standards and
recommendations.

Designed for extension while providing robust support for the base HTTP
protocol, HttpClient may be of interest to anyone building HTTP-aware
client applications such as web browsers, web service clients, or
systems that leverage or extend the HTTP protocol for distributed
communication.

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] HttpComponents Client 4.5 GA Released

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 2015-06-06 at 14:10 +0200, Christopher BROWN wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Why are there different version numbers and different release cycles for
> otherwise interdependant artifacts?  It's not always obvious which versions
> are compatible with each other.
>
> In the same way that you don't need to wait for a change in every package
> of one of the current artifacts before releasing a new version of a
> subproject, I don't see any harm in having a single "Apache HTTP Client"
> project with all of the current deliverables as part of it (core, client,
> mime, etc).  It would be simpler from my perspective (I don't know if my
> view is shared with others); using feature branches would avoid having to
> defer releases due to incomplete work-in-progress, so I don't see any
> disadvantages.
>
> Just a thought...

HttpCore is not limited to client side HTTP. It also provides server
side components as well as embeddable HTTP server implementations.

Oleg

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] HttpComponents Client 4.5 GA Released

Posted by Christopher BROWN <br...@reflexe.fr>.
Hello,

--
Christopher

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 6/5/2015 3:24 AM, Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> The Apache HttpComponents project is pleased to announce 4.5 GA release
> of HttpComponents HttpClient.
>
> HttpClient 4.5 (GA) is a minor feature release that includes several
> incremental enhancements to the existing functionality such as support
> for private domains in the Mozilla Public Suffix List.
>
> Users of HttpClient 4.x are advised to upgrade.

Will there be any other components with a 4.5 release, or just the
httpclient?  I'm specifically interested in httpcore and httpmime.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] HttpComponents Client 4.5 GA Released

Posted by Michael Osipov <19...@gmx.net>.
> The Apache HttpComponents project is pleased to announce 4.5 GA release
> of HttpComponents HttpClient.
>
> HttpClient 4.5 (GA) is a minor feature release that includes several
> incremental enhancements to the existing functionality such as support
> for private domains in the Mozilla Public Suffix List.
>
> Users of HttpClient 4.x are advised to upgrade.
>
> Download -
> <http://hc.apache.org/downloads.cgi>
> Release notes -
> <https://www.apache.org/dist/httpcomponents/httpclient/RELEASE_NOTES-4.4.x.txt>

These are obviously the wrong release notes. There right ones are here:
https://www.apache.org/dist/httpcomponents/httpclient/RELEASE_NOTES-4.5.x.txt

Michael