Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Tim Whittington <Ti...@orionhealth.com> on 2006/11/24 02:53:58 UTC

AJP message chunking behaviour

I'm observing sub-optimal AJP messages being sent from Tomcat (5.0.something in this case) to JK running under IIS.

I see a consistent pattern (for large response) of message sizes of 8188 and then 12.
This looks like 8184 + AJP header and 8 + AJP header = 8192 + 2 * AJP Headers= 8 * 1024 bytes + 2 * AJP headers.

It appears that the AJP Connector on the Tomcat side is calculating message sizes without taking into account the AJP headers, and thus spreading a 8192 byte response message across two AJP messages.

Has anyone observed anything like this?
Is this a bug, or expected behaviour?

tim

Re: AJP message chunking behaviour

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
And this, children, is why you don't want to remain on out-dated and
unmaintained systems :).

If you search the dev@tomcat archives, I believe that Mladen reported this a
couple of years ago (but don't care enough to actually do the search myself
;-).  In 5.5, it does much more optimal chunking.