Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by bleakley <bl...@factual.com> on 2012/04/24 21:38:09 UTC

Field names w/ leading digits cause strange behavior

When specifying a field name that starts with a digit (or digits) in the "fl"
parameter solr returns both the field name and field value as the those
digits. For example, using nightly build
"apache-solr-4.0-2012-04-24_08-27-47" I run:

java -jar start.jar
and
java -jar post.jar solr.xml monitor.xml

If I then add a field to the field list that starts with a digit (
localhost:8983/solr/select?q=*:*&fl=24 ) the results look like:
<doc>
<long name="24">24</long>
</doc>

if I try fl=24_7 it looks like everything after the underscore is truncated
<doc>
<long name="24">24</long>
</doc>

and if I try fl=3test it looks like everything after the last digit is
truncated
<doc>
<long name="3">3</long>
</doc>

If I have an actual value for that field (say I've indexed 24_7 to be "true"
) I get back that value as well as the behavior above.
<doc>
<bool name="24_7">true</bool>
<long name="24">24</long>
</doc>

Is it ok the have fields that start with digits? If so, is there a different
way to specify them using the "fl" parameter? Thanks!

Re: Field names w/ leading digits cause strange behavior

Posted by bleakley <bl...@factual.com>.
Thank you for verifying the issue. I've created a ticket at

Re: Field names w/ leading digits cause strange behavior

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Hmmm, this does NOT happen on 3.6, and it DOES happen on
trunk. Sure sounds like a JIRA to me, would you mind raising one?

I can't imagine this is desired behavior, it's just weird.

Thanks for pointing this out!
Erick