Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org> on 2003/01/23 08:43:33 UTC

tag in docv11

Howdy,

Anyone mind if I add <acronym title="blah">blah</acronym> to
document-v11.mod?  It's quite handy on occasion.

Attached is the diff.

--Jeff

Re: sync with docbood was Re: Out-of-line links (Re: tag in docv11)

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 10:52:24AM -0800, Nick Chalko wrote:
> Jeff T

> >Docbook uses such things to build indexes.  If we could declare
> >taxonomies of words (eg 'pelican' is a typeof 'bird'), I'd imagine search
> >results could be more accurate.
> >

> I would apprecitate it if on all  new tags,  forrest checks what docbook
> has and tries to match.

But that ruins the fun of guessing "Forrest equivalent for Docbook
feature X" ;(

:) Anyway, doc-v11 is intensely annoying for anything beyond simple
website docs.  It would be better to simply support multiple formats,
rather than attempt to evolve docv11 into Docbook.

--Jeff

Posted by Nick Chalko <ni...@chalko.com>.
Jeff T

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 12:00:31AM +0100, J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
> >Docbook uses such things to build indexes.  If we could declare
> >taxonomies of words (eg 'pelican' is a typeof 'bird'), I'd imagine search
> >results could be more accurate.
>
> Oops another semantic web convert. :-)
> Don't forget to plunder existing repositories for ideas, tags,
> taxonomies and data.
> Some keywords to search for: Cyc, OpenCyc, Virtual Hyper Glossary.

The VHG has a nice example of automatically marking up a doc with
glossary references:

http://www.vhg.org.uk/software/chem2.gif
http://www.vhg.org.uk/software/index.html

I downloaded OpenCYC last night.  It's pretty impressive, and has a good
tutorial.  With a SOAP interface it would make a killer web service.

> However, be prepared for a desillusionment too. There is a reason
> that this isn't already widely used.

It all seems rather academic.  Overcomplicated solutions looking for
problems to justify their learning cost.  I'm sure in vertical industries
there are lots of opportunities for using ontologies 'n things, but it's
going to take a lot of imagination and foresight to work them into
Forrest.  [RT]'s welcome.

--Jeff

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Jeff Turner wrote:
[...]
> It's not an either/or choice though.. for now, we can allow <acronym> in
> the source.  Then later, we can implement a transformer that 'marks up'
> raw text with tags like <acronym>.

>    Again, we could start by defining an explicit <term> tag, and then
>    later have a MarkupTransformer adding them for certain words.

+1

>>>Maybe something like a <keyword>forrestbot</keyword> can be also useful for
>>>indexing and searching?
>
> Docbook uses such things to build indexes.  If we could declare
> taxonomies of words (eg 'pelican' is a typeof 'bird'), I'd imagine search
> results could be more accurate.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Out-of-line links (Re: tag in docv11)

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 09:19:03AM +0100, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Konstantin Piroumian wrote:
> >From: "Jeff Turner" <je...@apache.org>
> >
> >>Howdy,
> >>
> >>Anyone mind if I add <acronym title="blah">blah</acronym> to
> >>document-v11.mod?  It's quite handy on occasion.
> >

> >What's the use of it? Something like: <acronym title="ASF">Apache Software
> >Foundation</acronym> or the opposite <acronym title="Apache Software
> >Foundation">ASF</acronym>? How would it be displayed?

<acronym title="Apache Software Foundation">ASF</acronym>.  It's up to
the browser how to display it.  Mozilla (and I think IE?) have a light
underline and display the @title on mouse rollovers.

> Yes, I'm always confused by acronym, cite, blah...
>
> Anyway, probably I'd like to see a glossary.xml that can keep terms,
> acronyms, etc in a central place. The coolest thing would be not to have
> to tag anything and have a transformer scan all the text for these
> terms, but it's too time comsuming, so we still need a tag. IT could as
> let the glossary.xml take care of making it into an acronym, word, or
> whatever.

That would rock :)

It's not an either/or choice though.. for now, we can allow <acronym> in
the source.  Then later, we can implement a transformer that 'marks up'
raw text with tags like <acronym>.

The general idea of out-of-line linking, where you automatically mark up
raw XML, is pretty neat.  Some possibilities:

-  For jargon-heavy documentation, we could have a <term> tag for
   defining certain terms:

     "... cell proliferation and apoptosis..."
   ->
     "... cell proliferation and <term href="apoptosis.html" def="When
     cells go 'pop'">Apoptosis</term>..."

   That can be rendered as either "apoptosis?" (small superscript '?'
   link) or <span title="....">apoptosis</span>, ie a rollover
   definition.

   Again, we could start by defining an explicit <term> tag, and then
   later have a MarkupTransformer adding them for certain words.

 - We could implement Wiki linking by translating WordsLikeThis into "<link
   href="wordslikethis.html">words like this</link>".

 - Say we had a controlled vocabulary of geographical place names.  We
   could automatically mark them up with links to a map of the place:

     "... fires in Canberra, Australia ..."
   ->
     "... fires in <link
     href="http://www.maps.com/?lat=-35.3&long=149">Canberra,
     Australia</link> ..."

   that would be very useful for newswire services.

   <ot>
   At my old company (www.socialchange.net) we implemented this in
   an OpenGIS pilot project.  It requires some online GIS infrastructure
   though: geocoders, gazetteers, WMS mapservers, thesauri.. fun stuff..
   anyone up for a gis.apache.org?
   </ot>

Re: tag in docv11

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Re: tag in docv11

Posted by Konstantin Piroumian <kp...@apache.org>.
From: "Jeff Turner" <je...@apache.org>

Re: tag in docv11

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 08:49:12AM +0100, Steven Noels wrote:
> Jeff Turner wrote:
>
> >Anyone mind if I add <acronym title="blah">blah</acronym> to
> >document-v11.mod?  It's quite handy on occasion.
> >
> >Attached is the diff.
>
> no diff attached, but please go forward

I've committed it and the sample shows it in action:

http://forrestbot.cocoondev.org/sites/xml-forrest-template/sample.html

The text 'TLA' is acronym'ed.

> must we go through the entire versioning thing then?

Ick.. guess we should. Or at least decide how to handle DTD versioning
before a 0.3 release.

--Jeff

Re: tag in docv11

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.