Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@dashorst.dds.nl> on 2005/07/16 12:37:41 UTC

Website layout, multiple releases and maven projects

All,

As the release and site manager of the Wicket project, I am trying to
come up with a good scheme for uploading maven generated sites and
putting this in projects.

Currently we have all documentation in the xdocs folder of the Wicket
project. I can simple do a
     maven clean site:deploy
in order to have the new content to be available on the website.

The problem arises when you have multiple versions of your project. We
currently have 1.0 out there, and development is busy on 1.1

In order to support linking to online documentation, and not have those
links become outdated, and in order to have an archive of the released
versions documentation wise, I want to adopt the following layout:

htdocs/
htdocs/wicket-1.0
htdocs/wicket-1.1
htdocs/wicket-x.y

Method 1: Seperate projects
====================
Build and javadoc information should go into the wicket-x.y
subdirectories, and will be generated as a normal maven java project.
Sub versions will overwrite the contents of each wicket-x.y subdirectory.

The main documentation (examples, feature lists, news, etc) are put into
the root and or special subdirectories. This part of the site is
generated from a seperate, special purpose project.

Method 2: One project, multi deployments
==============================
Another option is to keep the structure the way it currently is, and
deploy the main site from the head of the trunc, and each release (and
update) to the subdirectories.

What is wisdom in my case. Has anyone else got a great idea for this?

Martijn

Re: Website layout, multiple releases and maven projects

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
Yep, I agree with the 2nd one if I undesrstand correctly. This should
be the same thing put into the release as documentation.

Website content independent of a release should be in a separate
project like "wicket-site" that is always published to the same place
and not part of release documentation.

- Brett

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@dashorst.dds.nl>.