Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Andi Vajda <an...@osafoundation.org> on 2004/01/13 20:52:12 UTC

A Berkeley DB implementation of Directory

The Chandler project here at the Open Source Applications Foundation (OSAF) is
now using Lucene for its text indexing and search needs. Integrating Lucene
with Chandler required integrating Lucene with Berkeley DB (and with Python
without the use of a Java VM, using GNU's gcj and SWIG).

At the URLs below are lucenedb-1.4-rc1-dev-src Java source archives containing
the classes of the org.apache.lucene.store.db extension package.

  http://aloha.osafoundation.org/~vajda/lucenedb-1.4-rc1-dev-src.tar.gz
  http://aloha.osafoundation.org/~vajda/lucenedb-1.4-rc1-dev-src.zip

An org.apache.lucene.store.db.DbDirectory instance is used with
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexReader, org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter,
org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher, etc.. exactly like any other instance
of org.apache.lucene.store.Directory.

To build, this package requires Berkeley DB 4.2.52's db.jar file. It is
included in the 'lib' directory of the archive. An Ant build.xml file,
modeled on Lucene's, is also included.

OSAF is hereby donating this code to the Apache Lucene Project under the
same licensing terms as the Apache Lucene code.

Andi..

Re: A Berkeley DB implementation of Directory

Posted by Andi Vajda <an...@osafoundation.org>.
You're very welcome. Thank you for the quick integration.

I don't have any test cases in publishable state but I do have modified
versions of the Lucene samples using DbDirectory instead of FSDirectory. I
could submit those. Shortly.

Andi..

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Andi,

Posted by Jack Park <ja...@thinkalong.com>.
YeeHaw  :-)

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
+1 for including this in the sandbox.

Berkeley DB is a great substrate for application data.  Storing the
index in Berkeley DB too facilitates transactional consistency between
application data and the index.

Doug