Posted to pluto-dev@portals.apache.org by Elliot Metsger <em...@jhu.edu> on 2007/02/26 15:25:15 UTC

Pluto website (was: Re: Pluto 1.1.0 distributions are up)

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the updates!

A couple of notes:

1. The release plugin deploys the website (this may or may not be
desired behavior when we are cutting a release candidate).

2. I'm working on a Velocity template which will interpolate strings in
our website content (under pluto-site/src/site/xdoc), allowing us to
automate version numbers.  For example, from
pluto-site/src/site/xdoc/index.xml there's the highlightBox for
downloading Pluto, and it references beta2:

  Download Pluto 1.1.0-beta2 (19Mb)

I'd like the version string to be interpolated, so the source becomes

  Download Pluto ${version}

This goes back to automating version numbers when we release.

If you can update the website and send out the announcements, that would
be appreciated.

After I get the Velocity template in a good place, I'll probably
re-deploy the website but that won't happen until later this week.

Elliot

Re: Pluto website

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.

> If no one beats me to it, I'll send out an
> announcement in the morning.

  Done.  Also posted to the serverside.  We can consider this release
complete as far as I'm aware.  On to 1.1.1 (or whatever we call it :D)

Re: Release Versioning (was Re: Pluto website)

Posted by Elliot Metsger <em...@jhu.edu>.
David H. DeWolf wrote:
> The idea is that you cut the "test build" and
> then vote on it's quality.  We can publish on the website whether a
> particular build is alpha, beta, or ga, but it's not part of the actual
> build name.  This approach is consistent with not only struts, but many
>  other apache projects (tomcat, tiles, http, etc. . .).
>
> The biggest advantage is that IMHO the release process becomes easier to
> manage.  Instead of having to wait around for everything to be perfect
> if we're trying to cut a GA release, we can cut the test build and vote
> on the quality after the fact.  If it fails, we remove it and move on.
> If it's good, but not great, we can call it a beta and move on.  In
> short, if we take this approach, I would hope that we get more frequent
> releases.

This sounds like a practical, common sense approach.

For example, 1.1.1 is not a drastic code refactor and the changes going
into 1.1.1 (both the number of changes and the scope of the changes are
"small") probably won't result in a "beta" or "alpha" designation.  So
we can vote and ship 1.1.1 GA relatively quickly.

On the other hand, when 286 is merged into trunk and we are ready to
make a release, it may be that based on test results, a "beta"
designation is appropriate and useful to the community.

My original concern when I proposed dropping alpha and beta from
releases was expediency.  I would prefer to not have to go through
posting a build designated "beta" if we feel it is GA quality.

Elliot

Re: Release Versioning (was Re: Pluto website)

Posted by CD...@hannaford.com.
David,
I'm fine with any new versioning scheme, just as long as it is well
defined and documented. I think we need to have at least some 'sub GA'
designation for releases to indicate quality of the build. Perhaps just
sticking with the Release Candidate designation is the best way to do
this.

I have been following the progression of Struts 2 on the mail list from
time to time, and I found it puzzling figuring out what was the purpose of
all those micro releases (2.0.2, 2.0.4, 2.0.5, etc). Developers should
remember that release numbers/monikers are important to users too.
/Craig

Posted by "David H. DeWolf" <dd...@apache.org>.

Re: Pluto website

Posted by Craig Doremus <cd...@apache.org>.