Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com> on 2016/07/20 02:35:19 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.0.0 (RC5)

Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version
2.0.0. The vote is open until Friday, July 22, 2016 at 20:00 PDT and passes
if a majority of at least 3 +1 PMC votes are cast.

The tag to be voted on is v2.0.0-rc5
(13650fc58e1fcf2cf2a26ba11c819185ae1acc1f).

This release candidate resolves ~2500 issues:
https://s.apache.org/spark-2.0.0-jira

http://people.apache.org/~pwendell/spark-releases/spark-2.0.0-rc5-bin/

https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/pwendell.asc

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1195/

http://people.apache.org/~pwendell/spark-releases/spark-2.0.0-rc5-docs/

=================================
How can I help test this release?
=================================
If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking an
existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
reporting any regressions from 1.x.

What justifies a -1 vote for this release?
Critical bugs impacting major functionalities.

Bugs already present in 1.x, missing features, or bugs related to new
features will not necessarily block this release. Note that historically
Spark documentation has been published on the website separately from the
main release so we do not need to block the release due to documentation
errors either.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.0.0 (RC5)

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1

Tested on Mac.

Matei

Posted by Joseph Bradley <jo...@databricks.com>.
+1

Posted by Ricardo Almeida <ri...@actnowib.com>.
+1 (non binding)

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.
+1

Posted by Krishna Sankar <ks...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding, of course)

Posted by Stephen Hellberg <he...@uk.ibm.com>.
Yeah, I thought the vote was closed... but I couldn't think of a better
thread to remark upon!
That's a useful comment on Derby's role - thanks.  Certainly, we'd just
attempted a build-and-test execution with revising the Derby level to the
current 10.12.1.1, and hadn't observed any issues... a PR will be
forthcoming.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.0.0 (RC5)

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.
The release vote has already closed and passed. Derby is only used in
tests AFAIK, so I don't think this is even critical let alone a
blocker. Updating is fine though, open a PR.

Posted by Stephen Hellberg <he...@uk.ibm.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
When are we planning to push the release maven artifacts ? We are waiting
for this in order to push an official Apache Bahir release supporting Spark
2.0.

--
Luciano Resende
http://twitter.com/lresende1975

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.0.0 (RC5)

Posted by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@apache.org>.
+1 (non-binding)

- MD5/SHA/GPG matched.
- Test passed on Ubuntu (16.04) +  Oracle JDK (1.7.0_80) + R(3.2.3)
  * build/mvn -Phive -Phadoop-2.7 -Pyarn clean package
  * python python/run-tests.py
  * R/install-dev.sh & R/run-tests.sh

Cheers!

Dongjoon.

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.
+1 at last. Sigs and hashes check out, and compiles and passes tests
with "-Pyarn -Phadoop-2.7 -Phive" on Ubuntu 16 + Java 8.

There are actually only 2 issues still targeted for 2.0.0, which is great:
SPARK-16633 lag/lead does not return the default value when the offset
row does not exist
SPARK-16648 LAST_VALUE(FALSE) OVER () throws IndexOutOfBoundsException

These are not marked blocker, though one is critical. I will assume
these don't block.

The only other JIRA that seems to be "for 2.0" and not resolved is...
... which I suspect is actually just something to be renamed and pushed out.

I did encounter two test failures that weren't reproducible, just FYI:

ExecutorAllocationManagerSuite:
- basic functionality *** FAILED ***
  The code passed to eventually never returned normally. Attempted 613
times over 10.015362111999998 seconds. Last failure message:
  Wanted but not invoked:
  executorAllocationClient.killExecutor("2");
  -> at org.apache.spark.streaming.scheduler.ExecutorAllocationManagerSuite$$anonfun$2$$anonfun$7.org$apache$spark$streaming$scheduler$ExecutorAllocationManagerSuite$$anonfun$$anonfun$$verifyKilledExec$1(ExecutorAllocationManagerSuite.scala:80)
  Actually, there were zero interactions with this mock.
  . (ExecutorAllocationManagerSuite.scala:61)

StateStoreSuite:
- maintenance *** FAILED ***
  The code passed to eventually never returned normally. Attempted 611
times over 10.007739936 seconds. Last failure message:
StateStoreSuite.this.fileExists(provider, 1L, false) was true earliest
file not deleted. (StateStoreSuite.scala:395)

Posted by Felix Cheung <fe...@hotmail.com>.
+1

Tested on Ubuntu, ran a bunch of SparkR tests, found a broken link in doc but not a blocker.

_____________________________
Built locally on Ubuntu 14.04, basic pyspark sanity checking & tested with a simple structured streaming project (spark-structured-streaming-ml) & spark-testing-base & high-performance-spark-examples (minor changes required from preview version but seem intentional & jetty conflicts with out of date testing library - but not a Spark problem).

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 12:45 PM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>> wrote:
+ 1 (non-binding)

Found a minor issue when trying to run some of the docker tests, but nothing blocking the release. Will create a JIRA for that.

[...]

Cell : 425-233-8271

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.0.0 (RC5)

Posted by Michael Armbrust <mi...@databricks.com>.
+1

Posted by Holden Karau <ho...@pigscanfly.ca>.
+1 (non-binding)

--
Cell : 425-233-8271

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Spark 2.0.0 (RC5)

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
+ 1 (non-binding)

Posted by Shivaram Venkataraman <sh...@eecs.berkeley.edu>.
+1

SHA and MD5 sums match for all binaries. Docs look fine this time
around. Built and ran `dev/run-tests` with Java 7 on a linux machine.

No blocker bugs on JIRA and the only critical bug with target as 2.0.0
is SPARK-16633, which doesn't look like a release blocker. I also
checked issues which are marked as Critical affecting version 2.0.0
and the only other ones that seem applicable are SPARK-15703 and
SPARK-16334. Both of them don't look like blockers to me.

Thanks
Shivaram

Posted by Jonathan Kelly <jo...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Michael Allman <mi...@videoamp.com>.

Posted by Michael Allman <mi...@videoamp.com>.
In reference to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-16320, the code path for reading data from parquet files has been refactored extensively. The fact that Maciej was testing performance on a table with 400 partitions makes me wonder if my PR for https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-15968 will make a difference for repeated queries on partitioned tables. That PR was merged into master and backported to 2.0. The commit short hash is d5d2457.

Maciej, can you rerun your test on your original dataset with a version of Spark 2.0 with that commit in it? And run it more than once? And ensure that when you compare your query performance for the first query, ensure that you're starting with a fresh spark-shell or spark-sql for each so caching is not a factor.

As for the issue with initial query performance on a partitioned table or query performance on an unpartitioned table being inferior, I can do a quick test to see if I can reproduce that issue on our end. Assuming there is a perf regression, I may be able to spend some time debugging today. I've spent a substantial amount of time debugging and optimizing parquet table query perf in Spark, and we've been using 2.0 for at least a month now. Not sure if I'll have time to dig that deep, though.

Michael

Posted by Marcin Tustin <mt...@handybook.com>.
I refer to Maciej Bryński's (maciek@brynski.pl) emails of 29 and 30 June

Posted by Michael Allman <mi...@videoamp.com>.