Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by John Smodic <js...@us.ibm.com> on 2014/07/03 04:17:46 UTC

schema / config file names

Is it required for the schema.xml and solrconfig.xml to have those exact
filenames?

Can I alias schema.xml to foo.xml in some way, for example?

Thanks.

Re: schema / config file names

Posted by Tirthankar Chatterjee <tc...@commvault.com>.
Chris,
We have actually done that. Our requirement was basically have a single installation of Solr to assume different roles and each role had its own changes for optimisation done on solrconfig.xml and schema.xml

When we start a role we basically adapt to file role_solrconfig.xml and role_schema.xml and then fire up cores for each of these role. Is there a better way to solve this issue?

Thanks
Tirthankar

> On 02-Jul-2014, at 10:22 pm, "Chris Hostetter" <ho...@fucit.org> wrote:
>

> : Is it required for the schema.xml and solrconfig.xml to have those exact
> : filenames?
>
> It's an extremelely good idea ... but strictly speaking no...
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/CoreAdminHandler+Parameters+and+Usage#CoreAdminHandlerParametersandUsage-CREATE
>
> This smells like an XY Problem though ... please explain *why* you care
> what these file names are, and why you want them to be different?
>
> https://people.apache.org/~hossman/#xyproblem
> XY Problem
>
> Your question appears to be an "XY Problem" ... that is: you are dealing
> with "X", you are assuming "Y" will help you, and you are asking about "Y"
> without giving more details about the "X" so that we can understand the
> full issue.  Perhaps the best solution doesn't involve "Y" at all?
> See Also: http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=542341
>

> -Hoss
> http://www.lucidworks.com/

***************************Legal Disclaimer***************************
"This communication may contain confidential and privileged material for the
sole use of the intended recipient. Any unauthorized review, use or distribution
by others is strictly prohibited. If you have received the message by mistake,
please advise the sender by reply email and delete the message. Thank you."

Re: schema / config file names

Posted by John Smodic <js...@us.ibm.com>.
That's good to know.

I don't actually want to do it. I want to see just how much of Solr's
schema and configuration can be reliably validated. The error messages
I've been getting back for misconfigured setups are less than ideal at
times. But it should be easy for me to validate certain things without
talking to Solr at all, like the existence of the schema in ZK, that it's
a valid XML file, etc.

Is there an XSD or any kind of validation for the schema / solrconfig?
There's an unresolved Jira issue in SOLR-1758 that seems promising but
never got merged.

Thanks.

Re: schema / config file names