Posted to user@storm.apache.org by "Mitchell Rathbun (BLOOMBERG/ 731 LEX)" <mr...@bloomberg.net> on 2017/12/04 15:33:14 UTC

Re: JVM Tuning in Local Mode

We are running our topology using the storm client's jar command. So we run 'storm jar jar-path class arguments'. How can I pass in options to the JVM if we use this to run the topology? It doesn't appear there is a way to do this, at least as far as I can tell. If running locally, should we just directly use java and pass the jar?

From: user@storm.apache.org
Subject: Re: JVM Tuning in Local Mode

As you noted, there is only one process when you run Storm in local mode. The childopts are only used in cluster mode when new JVMs are spawned (e.g. supervisor spawning workers). If you need to modify the JVM settings for a local mode cluster, you can just set the JVM settings for the process you are starting the LocalCluster from. How you do it will depend on how you build and run your project.

I am looking to tune the JVM settings for the Storm instance that we are running locally. I know in cluster mode this is done for various nodes by using the childopts property in storm.yaml (worker.childopts, nimbus.childopts, etc.). What should I set for this to work in local mode? Is it necessary for all of these properties to be set even though there is only one process that is run? Or is there a simpler way to do it?