Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by ph...@gmx.net on 2003/05/16 10:24:25 UTC

Regarding Issue#525 "working copy w/o text-base"

Especially if (most of) your working copy is used read-only, the pristine
copies are a waste of disk space.

How about making all checked out files read-only and creating a pristine copy
(from the local working copy file) only when the user issues an equivalent of
"cvs edit" ?

A checksum could be used to check if the working copy file is still clean
before making the text-base-backup.

Regards,
Philipp

Issue #: 525
Reporter: sussman (Ben Collins-Sussman)
Opened: 2001-10-11 11:25 PDT

Someday, it's theoretically possible to improve subversion such that it does
*not* rely on the existence of cached, pristine files in .svn/text-base/.
It's
a big change, though.  There are comments throughout libsvn_wc that mention
the
option.

------- Additional Comments From Ben Collins-Sussman 2001-10-11 11:26 PDT
-------

post-1.0

Re: Regarding Issue#525 "working copy w/o text-base"

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.
Both of these ideas come up a lot.  The answer is "someday, maybe."  If
you want to know why, search the list archives.

(Perhaps issue 525 could be annotated with some references to mail
threads, if someone feels motivated to find them.)

Re: Regarding Issue#525 "working copy w/o text-base"

Posted by Santeri Hernejärvi <gr...@gray.mine.nu>.
philipp.berndt@gmx.net wrote:

> Especially if (most of) your working copy is used read-only, the pristine
> copies are a waste of disk space.
>
> How about making all checked out files read-only and creating a pristine copy
> (from the local working copy file) only when the user issues an equivalent of
> "cvs edit" ?
>
> A checksum could be used to check if the working copy file is still clean
> before making the text-base-backup.

I just had an idea.  It might be a bad one, but here goes.

My repository consists of various source files and a lot of
binary data, and the pristine copies of these aren't really
necessary, unless you want to revert a lot.

The checksums would be enough to tell if the files have been
changed and need to be committed.

A downside would be that the client would have to send the
whole file when committing, though.  Hmm.

.s