Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by S Ahmed <sa...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/23 04:14:30 UTC

java, oom, gc stop the world

In the wild, what sort of memory usage patterns have you guys seen with
kafka?

I'm not that well versed with java and its memory/gc issues, what have you
guys experienced with your production brokers?  (assuming consumers and
producers are not that much of an issue).

How do you determine how much memory to allocate to a given broker?  Is it
based on factors such as:

1. producers are mostly using batch versus single messages
2. messages per second
3. size of message payload
4. # of consumers connecting to a given broker
etc.

Is there a "magic" forumula?

Re: java, oom, gc stop the world

Posted by David DeMaagd <dd...@linkedin.com>.
It's worth noting that we currently run kakfa at LinkedIn with a 5G heap
(not 3G, still using the CMS GC though - should update that), and the
info on that wiki is aimed at 0.7.

We are actively working on things for 0.8 - don't have a 'this works for
us', much less a 'recommendedation' there (hopefully will have something
on that side soon).

Every thing else on that wiki looks to be in the right ballpark.

--
Dave DeMaagd
ddemaagd@linkedin.com | 818 262 7958

(jay.kreps@gmail.com - Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 07:35:17PM -0800)