Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Anna Povzner <an...@confluent.io> on 2020/11/03 21:04:37 UTC

Re: [VOTE] KIP-612: Ability to Limit Connection Creation Rate on Brokers

Hi David,

You are right, using a token bucket exposes the metric for the number of
remaining tokens in the bucket. Since we also want to evaluate using a
token bucket for bandwidth & request throttling, it would be better to have
this discussion separately in a separate KIP. This KIP does not implement
token bucket throttling, and I made sure that KIP wiki does not mention it
as well. Hopefully, I haven't added any confusion.

As David Mao is implementing per-IP part of this KIP, he will update the
KIP wiki and notify this thread with a couple of more details that were not
mentioned in the KIP wiki (e.g., per-IP rate metrics exposed when
throttling).

Thanks,
Anna