Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by "Juan P." <go...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/07 19:14:38 UTC

PROD/DR - Replication

I was reading up on HBase Replication and wanted to make sure I'm not
missing something.

Given that replication happens asynchronously the replication strategy has
an "eventually consistent" policy.

I was considering using this feature for Production / Disaster Recovery
setup.

Is there a way to enforce Consistency so that if my PROD environment should
ever go down, I can 100% sure that DR will be completely up to date?

Thank you,
Juan

Re: PROD/DR - Replication

Posted by Amandeep Khurana <am...@gmail.com>.
What failure condition are you trying to safeguard against? A full
data center failure? That's when you would lose your entire cluster
and need the DR to kick in. Otherwise, you could deploy such that an
entire rack failure or even a row failure won't take you down. Just
span across multiple racks and rows. For a full data center failure,
the current replication scheme only gives you asynchronous replication
for reasons Ian mentioned.

PROD/DR - Replication

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Agree with what Ian says below except I'd say with work it's possible to do
cross DC quorum writes in a layer on top of HBase that persists into
HBase, like
when Google built Megastore on BigTable. At this year's VLDB if I recall
correctly there was a megastore-like system with an interesting variation built
on HBase presented in http://arxiv.org/abs/1208.0270 .

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: PROD/DR - Replication

Posted by Ian Varley <iv...@salesforce.com>.
Ha - that's what I get for trying to answer list emails from my phone. :)

Ian

On Dec 7, 2012, at 1:58 PM, sriraam h wrote:

Thanks Ian. I DID miss the point. The person who started the chain is a different person :)

- Sri

Posted by sriraam h <el...@yahoo.com>.

Re: PROD/DR - Replication

Posted by Ian Varley <iv...@salesforce.com>.