Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> on 2014/12/14 20:28:37 UTC

[DRAFT][ANNOUNCE] Apache Commons grants write access to all ASF committers

Hi all,

here is my draft for the announcement to committers@

Regards,
Benedikt

------

Dear fellow committers,

the Apache Commons Team is pleased to announce that write access to the
Apache Commons SVN and git repositories has been granted to all ASF
committers.

Apache Commons is an Apache project focused on all aspects of reusable Java
components. As such the components maintained by the Apache Commons project
may be of interest for a variety of other Apache projects.

The Apache Commons community would like to invite you to share useful code
which may be useful for other projects as well.
Please let us know before you start working on the code, by writing a short
mail to the dev mailing list [1].

Benedikt Ritter,
on behalf of the Apache Commons community

[1] http://commons.apache.org/mail-lists.html

--
http://people.apache.org/~britter/
http://www.systemoutprintln.de/

Re: [DRAFT][ANNOUNCE] Apache Commons grants write access to all ASF committers

Posted by Duncan Jones <dj...@apache.org>.
On 15 December 2014 at 08:25, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

>> Nice feedback all around. Here is a version that includes some of these
>> thoughts:
>> --
>>
>> Dear fellow committers,
>>
>> The Apache Commons Team is pleased to announce that write access to the
>> Apache Commons Subversion and Git repositories has been granted to all ASF
>> committers.
>>
>> Apache Commons is an Apache project focused on all aspects of reusable Java
>> components. As such, the components maintained by the Apache Commons
>> project
>> may be of interest to a variety of other Apache projects.
>>
>> The Apache Commons community would like to invite you to share and maintain
>> useful code.
>>
>> While Apache Commons is a Commit-Then-Review community, we would consider
>> it polite and helpful for contributors to announce their intentions and
>> plans on the dev mailing list before committing code.
>>

>> Have fun,
>>
>> The Apache Commons Community.
>> --
>> Gary
>>

> Very nice! I'll send the announcement tonight.

+1 I think this is an excellent idea.

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kristian Rosenvold <kr...@apache.org>.
Nice move;

This is actually the way I thought commons worked ("when I was a kid")
until I learned that I did not understand how commons worked :)

Kristian

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@gmail.com>.
On Dec 14, 2014 9:04 PM, "Gary Gregory" <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nice feedback all around. Here is a version that includes some of these
> thoughts:
> --
>
> Dear fellow committers,
>
> The Apache Commons Team is pleased to announce that write access to the
> Apache Commons Subversion and Git repositories has been granted to all ASF
> committers.
>
> Apache Commons is an Apache project focused on all aspects of reusable
Java
> components. As such, the components maintained by the Apache Commons
project
> may be of interest to a variety of other Apache projects.
>
> The Apache Commons community would like to invite you to share and
maintain
> useful code.
>
> While Apache Commons is a Commit-Then-Review community, we would consider
> it polite and helpful for contributors to announce their intentions and
> plans on the dev mailing list before committing code.
>

> Have fun,
>
> The Apache Commons Community.
> --
> Gary

Sounds good.

Matt

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 12/14/14 12:49 PM, Gilles wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Dec 2014 20:28:37 +0100, Benedikt Ritter wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> here is my draft for the announcement to committers@
>>
>> Regards,
>> Benedikt
>>
>> ------
>>
>> Dear fellow committers,
>>
>> the Apache Commons Team is pleased to announce that write access
>> to the
>> Apache Commons SVN and git repositories has been granted to all ASF
>> committers.
>>
>> Apache Commons is an Apache project focused on all aspects of
>> reusable Java
>> components. As such the components maintained by the Apache
>> Commons project
>> may be of interest for a variety of other Apache projects.
>>
>> The Apache Commons community would like to invite you to share
>> useful code
>> which may be useful for other projects as well.
>> Please let us know before you start working on the code, by
>> writing a short
>> mail to the dev mailing list [1].
>
> I'd be more careful (better safe than sorry) and add something like:
>
> [...] before committing code, consensus about the modifications
> should be
> reached on the dev ML.

We are CTR so that is not necessary.  We might just want to refer to
and update [1].  The upshot there is that before starting to commit

Posted by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org>.