Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2005/10/28 08:54:49 UTC

zone built demo site for dispatcher development

Now that the new dispatcher can function with trunk of SVN,
there is a regularly built demo site at our zone.

http://forrest.zones.apache.org/
http://forrest.zones.apache.org/ft/build/forrest-sample-2/

It builds every three hours.

It is just the "seed-sample" site. After the first build
i copied the forrest.properties from the "seed-v2".
So it is that easy to enable.

It would be good to have another demo with a different theme.

-David

Re: zone built demo site for dispatcher development

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> David Crossley escribi??:
> > Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > > Jeje, right now it is more the "common-base" for devs. I did not yet
> > > fully tested the other seeds. I am doing all the work in this seed that
> > > everybody can talk the same language.
> >
> > So are things needed in there that cannot be
> > built into the seed-sample site? Remember that we
> > are continually preparing the next release, so we
> > need to build up the main samples.
>
> Hmm, agreed but see the "Roadmap for v2" thread. IMO we should focus
> right now on v2 seed to finish the blocking issues and then we can move
> the stuff into the seed-sample.
>
> > > I planed that this seed will as
> > > well contain the documentation around the dispatcher.
> >
> > The documentation would be better on the main website.
> > These plugins are going to go away later aren't they?
> > They will become the new core.
>
> No, I mean in the seed. You are right it is better on the main website.
> Still not having @home internet I made the experience that sometimes it
> is easier to have the documentation in the seed ;-)

I have a secondary checkout that i call forrest-trunk-stable
and 'cd site-docs; forrest run' it on a different port.
Most of my work is local.

Do whatever documentation you like, wherever you like.
We will pull it together later. We will be grateful
for whatever you can manage.

> > > No your reasoning convinced me. Just wanted to know the reason.
> >
> > So are we focussing on the "seed-sample"?
>
> Like said above, for now I would prefer finishing the v2 blocker and
> then we have a stable version and can move the stuff.

Beauty.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El vie, 28-10-2005 a las 21:20 +1000, David Crossley escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > Jeje, right now it is more the "common-base" for devs. I did not yet
> > fully tested the other seeds. I am doing all the work in this seed that
> > everybody can talk the same language.
>
> So are things needed in there that cannot be
> built into the seed-sample site? Remember that we
> are continually preparing the next release, so we
> need to build up the main samples.

Hmm, agreed but see the "Roadmap for v2" thread. IMO we should focus
right now on v2 seed to finish the blocking issues and then we can move
the stuff into the seed-sample.

> > I planed that this seed will as
> > well contain the documentation around the dispatcher.
>
> The documentation would be better on the main website.
> These plugins are going to go away later aren't they?
> They will become the new core.

No, I mean in the seed. You are right it is better on the main website.
Still not having @home internet I made the experience that sometimes it
is easier to have the documentation in the seed ;-)

> > > We can change it if you reckon it is better
> > > or even do that one too.
> >
> > No your reasoning convinced me. Just wanted to know the reason.
>
> So are we focussing on the "seed-sample"?

Like said above, for now I would prefer finishing the v2 blocker and
then we have a stable version and can move the stuff.

> > > How would that work in a static build though?
> >
> > It is a javascript, which means that it works in static/dyn.
> >
> > > I suppose we need to be running a live webapp soon
> > > under a full Jetty or Tomcat.
> >
> > +1 I want to start soon the work on a forrest theme bot which let you
> > change the structurer definition (*.fv) and contracts with a web gui.
> > That will be only possible in dynamic mode.
>
> Okay, we will do it step-by-step.

+1

> The other thing that we need to do is better configuration
> of our Apache HTTP Server. Not much has been done yet.

What do you have in mind?

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: zone built demo site for dispatcher development

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El vie, 28-10-2005 a las 19:18 +1000, David Crossley escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> > David Crossley escribi??:
> > > Now that the new dispatcher can function with trunk of SVN,
> > > there is a regularly built demo site at our zone.
> > >
> > > http://forrest.zones.apache.org/
> > > http://forrest.zones.apache.org/ft/build/forrest-sample-2/
> > >
> > > It builds every three hours.
> > >
> > > It is just the "seed-sample" site. After the first build
> > > i copied the forrest.properties from the "seed-v2".
> > > So it is that easy to enable.
> >
> > Why not the v2 seed directly?
>
> I thought that it was better to re-use what we have.
> It is already full of samples that will test different
> aspects of our production.
>
> Also we can compare build times.
>
> We are getting way too many websites, one in every plugin
> and various seed sites. It is becoming difficult to manage
> them and documentation is being spread.
>
> I thought that the "seed-v2" was just to get
> people started like the "seed-basic".

Jeje, right now it is more the "common-base" for devs. I did not yet
fully tested the other seeds. I am doing all the work in this seed that
everybody can talk the same language. I planed that this seed will as
well contain the documentation around the dispatcher.

> We can change it if you reckon it is better
> or even do that one too.

No your reasoning convinced me. Just wanted to know the reason.

> > > It would be good to have another demo with a different theme.
> >
> > I am working on a theme switcher (the one kevin submitted) so there is
> > no need for a different theme (it is included already in the pelt theme)
> > deploy.
>
> How would that work in a static build though?

It is a javascript, which means that it works in static/dyn.

> I suppose we need to be running a live webapp soon
> under a full Jetty or Tomcat.

+1 I want to start soon the work on a forrest theme bot which let you
change the structurer definition (*.fv) and contracts with a web gui.
That will be only possible in dynamic mode.

> -David

salu2

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El vie, 28-10-2005 a las 16:54 +1000, David Crossley escribió:
> Now that the new dispatcher can function with trunk of SVN,
> there is a regularly built demo site at our zone.
>
> http://forrest.zones.apache.org/
> http://forrest.zones.apache.org/ft/build/forrest-sample-2/
>
> It builds every three hours.
>
> It is just the "seed-sample" site. After the first build
> i copied the forrest.properties from the "seed-v2".
> So it is that easy to enable.

Why not the v2 seed directly?