Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org> on 2022/07/15 01:26:12 UTC

[DISCUSS] 4.1.13 release user profile warning

Hi All,

As it seems the AOO 4.1.13 RC1 vote may pass (hopefully soon ), I'm
working on the announce email and blog post.

Since the .openoffice user profile is not backward compatible with
previous 4.1 versions for stored passwords, should we place a warning
for users to back up up their user profile  in the announce email, blog
post, release notes, etc. or not necessary?

Best regards,
Carl

Re: [DISCUSS] 4.1.13 release user profile warning

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi,

Am 15.07.22 um 20:04 schrieb Marcus:
> Am 15.07.22 um 10:47 schrieb Pedro Lino:
>>> On 07/15/2022 2:26 AM WEST Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> As it seems the AOO 4.1.13 RC1 vote may pass (hopefully soon ), I'm
>>> working on the announce email and blog post.
>>>
>>> Since the .openoffice user profile is not backward compatible with
>>> previous 4.1 versions for stored passwords, should we place a warning
>>> for users to back up up their user profile  in the announce email, blog
>>> post, release notes, etc. or not necessary?
>>
>> If we do mention it, we have to make perfectly clear that this will
>> only affect users that enabled the "Openoffice dialog" AND have set a
>> "Master password".
>> These are two options that are NOT enabled by default so only
>> advanced users would use both.

I don't see that "AND" is correct.

It affects me also without using the "OpenOffice dialog" when I am using
a Master password to access any of my credentials. That's the case when
you use the MediaWiki extension.

Regards,

   Matthias

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi Marcus and Arrigo,

On 7/18/22 5:26 PM, Arrigo Marchiori wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2022 at 07:03:09PM +0200, Marcus wrote:
>
>> Am 16.07.22 um 15:38 schrieb Carl Marcum:
> [...Carl's version]
>>> For the blog post I propose adding this text after the second paragraph.
>>>
>>> If you reference the 4.1.12 release blog post [1] this would replace the
>>> sentence about the dedication to Jörg in 4.1.12.
>>>
>>> ---
>>> It is always a good idea to backup your OpenOffice user profile before
>>> an upgrade. It is especially important during this upgrade for users who
>>> use the Master Password functionality and may decide to use an older
>>> version later. There is a change in the encoding of stored passwords in
>>> this 4.1.13 release that may make your user profile unusable for
>>> previous versions.
> [... Marcus' version ]
>> thanks for the text. IMHO The priority #1 should be the hint why this time a
>> backup is recommended. Therefore I suggest to switch the order:
>>
>> 1. Backup due to this release
>> 2. Backup is always a good idea.
>>
>> What do you think about this?
>>
>> <start>
>>
>> It is recommended to make a backup of the Apache OpenOffice users profile
>> before installing AOO 4.1.13. It is especially important for users who use
>> the Master Password functionality and may decide to use an older version
>> later. There is a change in the encoding of stored passwords in this 4.1.13
>> release that may make your user profile unusable for previous versions.
>>
>> In general, it is always a good idea to do a backup of important and
>> personal data, so we recommend to always backup your OpenOffice user profile
>> before doing an upgrade to a newer release.
> I personally like Carl's version best, but both are good IMHO.
>
> I would like to suggest we only put these paragraphs (either Marcus'
> or Carl's version) on the blog post and emails.
>
> More details on the user profile (the list of directories for
> different OSes) IMHO do not fit a blog post or an email for ``general
> users''. I would rather only expect to see them on the release notes,
> that can ``get more technical''.
>
> I.e. this text:
>
>> Users can backup their profile by copying these directories:
>>
>> Linux: /home/<username>/.openoffice
>> Windows 10: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice
>> Earlier Windows: \Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application
>> Data\OpenOffice
>> macOS: /Users/<user name>/Library/Application Support/OpenOffice
>>
>> More information about the users profile is in the support forum:
>> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12426
> Is very good (thank you Marcus) but I would like to see it only in the
> release notes.
>
> Just my two cents.
>
> Best regards,

Marcus I like your changes better and also Arrigo, your suggestion of
leaving the file paths and forum link for the release notes.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Maybe others will also have opinions about both.

Posted by Arrigo Marchiori <ar...@yahoo.it.INVALID>.
Dear All,

--
Arrigo

Re: [DISCUSS] 4.1.13 release user profile warning

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 16.07.22 um 15:38 schrieb Carl Marcum:

> On 7/15/22 2:52 PM, Carl Marcum wrote:

>>> you have good ideas what the text should contain. Would you like to
>>> try to write a paragraph? We all can then see what needs to be added.
>>
>> My thoughts are using the announcement Blog post and the Release notes
>> and not the emails.
>>
>> I can draft the paragraph but I don't know all the file paths to the
>> profile. Mainly Mac since I don't have one.
>>
>> I think it is basically a warning targeted to users whom us a master
>> password.
>>
>> I'll reply with a draft and hopefully someone can fill that part in
>> for me.
>
> For the blog post I propose adding this text after the second paragraph.
>
> If you reference the 4.1.12 release blog post [1] this would replace the
> sentence about the dedication to Jörg in 4.1.12.
>
> ---
> It is always a good idea to backup your OpenOffice user profile before
> an upgrade. It is especially important during this upgrade for users who
> use the Master Password functionality and may decide to use an older
> version later. There is a change in the encoding of stored passwords in
> this 4.1.13 release that may make your user profile unusable for
> previous versions.
> Users can backup their profile by copying these directories:
>
> Linux: /home/<username>/.openoffice
> Windows 10: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice
> Earlier Windows ??
> MacOS: TBD

thanks for the text. IMHO The priority #1 should be the hint why this
time a backup is recommended. Therefore I suggest to switch the order:

1. Backup due to this release
2. Backup is always a good idea.

What do you think about this?

<start>

It is recommended to make a backup of the Apache OpenOffice users
profile before installing AOO 4.1.13. It is especially important for
users who use the Master Password functionality and may decide to use an
older version later. There is a change in the encoding of stored
passwords in this 4.1.13 release that may make your user profile
unusable for previous versions.

In general, it is always a good idea to do a backup of important and
personal data, so we recommend to always backup your OpenOffice user
profile before doing an upgrade to a newer release.

Users can backup their profile by copying these directories:

Linux: /home/<username>/.openoffice
Windows 10: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice
Earlier Windows: \Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application
Data\OpenOffice
macOS: /Users/<user name>/Library/Application Support/OpenOffice

More information about the users profile is in the support forum:
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12426

<end>

Marcus

Re: [DISCUSS] 4.1.13 release user profile warning

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

On 7/15/22 2:52 PM, Carl Marcum wrote:
> Hi Marcus and All,

>>> If we do mention it, we have to make perfectly clear that this will
>>> only affect users that enabled the "Openoffice dialog" AND have set
>>> a "Master password".
>>> These are two options that are NOT enabled by default so only
>>> advanced users would use both.
>>>
>>> That said, for those users, they have to realize that they MUST make
>>> a backup before updating IF they intend to downgrade AOO at any
>>> point (which is also something common users don't do...)
>>>
>>> I hope such a warning is not confusing/worrying for common users...
>>
>> you have good ideas what the text should contain. Would you like to
>> try to write a paragraph? We all can then see what needs to be added.
>
> My thoughts are using the announcement Blog post and the Release notes
> and not the emails.
>
> I can draft the paragraph but I don't know all the file paths to the
> profile. Mainly Mac since I don't have one.
>
> I think it is basically a warning targeted to users whom us a master
> password.
>
> I'll reply with a draft and hopefully someone can fill that part in
> for me.
>
> Thanks,
> Carl
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Marcus

For the blog post I propose adding this text after the second paragraph.

If you reference the 4.1.12 release blog post [1] this would replace the
sentence about the dedication to Jörg in 4.1.12.

---
It is always a good idea to backup your OpenOffice user profile before
an upgrade. It is especially important during this upgrade for users who
use the Master Password functionality and may decide to use an older
version later. There is a change in the encoding of stored passwords in
this 4.1.13 release that may make your user profile unusable for
previous versions.
Users can backup their profile by copying these directories:

Linux: /home/<username>/.openoffice
Windows 10: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice
Earlier Windows ??
MacOS: TBD
---

Feel free to make other suggestions and provide any missing user profile
paths.

[1] https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/announcing-apache-openoffice-4-18

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi Marcus and All,

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Pedro Lino <pe...@mailbox.org.INVALID>.
Hi Carl

> On 07/15/2022 2:26 AM WEST Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org> wrote:

> As it seems the AOO 4.1.13 RC1 vote may pass (hopefully soon ), I'm
> working on the announce email and blog post.
>
> Since the .openoffice user profile is not backward compatible with
> previous 4.1 versions for stored passwords, should we place a warning
> for users to back up up their user profile  in the announce email, blog
> post, release notes, etc. or not necessary?

If we do mention it, we have to make perfectly clear that this will only affect users that enabled the "Openoffice dialog" AND have set a "Master password".
These are two options that are NOT enabled by default so only advanced users would use both.

That said, for those users, they have to realize that they MUST make a backup before updating IF they intend to downgrade AOO at any point (which is also something common users don't do...)

I hope such a warning is not confusing/worrying for common users...

Best,
Pedro

Re: [DISCUSS] 4.1.13 release user profile warning

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 15.07.22 um 05:54 schrieb Dave Fisher:
>> On Jul 14, 2022, at 6:26 PM, Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> As it seems the AOO 4.1.13 RC1 vote may pass (hopefully soon ), I'm working on the announce email and blog post.
>>
>> Since the .openoffice user profile is not backward compatible with previous 4.1 versions for stored passwords, should we place a warning for users to back up up their user profile  in the announce email, blog post, release notes, etc. or not necessary?
>
> We should! It’s always a good idea to backup your user profile when upgrading. Humans often forget. It’s alwsys good idea to remind people to backup.

+1

Marcus

Re: [DISCUSS] 4.1.13 release user profile warning

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net>.

> On Jul 14, 2022, at 6:26 PM, Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> As it seems the AOO 4.1.13 RC1 vote may pass (hopefully soon ), I'm working on the announce email and blog post.
>
> Since the .openoffice user profile is not backward compatible with previous 4.1 versions for stored passwords, should we place a warning for users to back up up their user profile  in the announce email, blog post, release notes, etc. or not necessary?

We should! It’s always a good idea to backup your user profile when upgrading. Humans often forget. It’s alwsys good idea to remind people to backup.

Best,
Dave