Posted to dev@slider.apache.org by 杨浩 <ya...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/09 13:00:06 UTC

current condition of Slider

Hi
 slider is powerful to deploy service on YARN, but the using of it is
unknown. Can we know something about it:

   1. How many companies are using it?
   2. How many commiters and contributers of slider are here?
   3. How big is the largest slider cluster and HBase cluster deployed by
   slider until now?

Re: current condition of Slider

Posted by Rakesh Saha <rs...@hortonworks.com>.
#1 - Adding to Steve,  currently there are 4 different companies using
Slider to package their app to run on YARN apart from Hortonworks but as
Slider is only GA-ed last month - there are only Hotonworks developed apps
which are distributed in wild.

There are 4 more companies including HP are in POC stage to package their
apps using Slider for Yarn compatibility and we are talking to few more
partners on this topic.

But I believe there are few other individual developers and companies
evaluating this framework for their own usage. I expect the adoption will
increase in 2015 quite significantly as it went GA with HDP 2.2 and that
should increase community contribution as well.

Hortonworks will keep the community updated with adoption stories as we
observe in our customer base. And any other such story from community will
be great to share as well.
Drop me an note if you have any.

- rakesh

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 5:20 AM, Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>
wrote:

> On 9 January 2015 at 12:00, 杨浩 <ya...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >  slider is powerful to deploy service on YARN, but the using of it is
> > unknown. Can we know something about it:
> >
> >    1. How many companies are using it?
> >

> I'm not currently sure. We (hortonworks) now ship v 0.60 in HDP-2.2,
> including Ambari support. If you want the easiest way to deploy accumulo or
> hbase via slider, Ambari is the way to do it...Ambari 2.0 is being finished
> off this month, hence my plan to publish to mvn.
>
> HDP only came out in december, and it takes a while to get picked up. I do
> know that some of my colleagues are working with companies on deploying it,
> though I don't know who. I think uses right now are all proof of concept,
> not production.
>

> >    2. How many commiters and contributers of slider are here?
> >

> five full time developers (me, jon, sumit, gour, yu); yu should get
> committer status once he's got enough patches in
>
> two others with commit rights who generally care about their repackaged
> apps: Ted Yu (Hbase) and Billie Rinaldi (Accumulo). They made sure that the
> test suite for HBase and accumulo were the real test suites of those apps,
> running against Slider-deployed clusters, including clusters with the
> "chaos monkey" turned on to trigger intermittent container failures.
>
> If anyone else has patches in I'd love them (and if there are some I've
> ignored in the rush to get 0.60 out, remind me). Slider does need a broader
> developer base, to build up that community of users and developers.
>

> >    3. How big is the largest slider cluster and HBase cluster deployed by
> >    slider until now?
> >

> Again, I'm not sure. We've done some reasonably sized instances during
> testing, but not with production loads
>
> -steve
>
> --
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE