Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org> on 2004/10/23 22:51:56 UTC

distribution cleanup

Hi gang,

I'm now in the process of moving framework, logkit and cornerstone to
the excalibur project (I found out I still have access :-D). When I
finish with the SVN migration, I want to start cleaning out repositories.

I plan to copy|move|symlink (still need to figure that out, the key is
no URLs break and not too much bandwidth strain on the mirrors) the
_most recent_ excalibur-* *fortress* *framework* materials over to the
/dist/excalibur location. Most recent means only the latest release of
everything.

I suggest removing all other versions of all those packages (ie cd
/www/www.apache.org/dist/avalon; rm -Rf *excalibur* *framework* *logkit*
*phoenix* *cornerstone*), and all phoenix materials, from the main
distribution server and from all the mirrors. This means the location to
access those packages becomes

    http://archive.apache.org/

(archive.apache rsyncs the dist materials but never deletes anything). I
plan to leave all the merlin|repository|planet|etc stuff alone.

thoughts?

cheers,

- Leo

Re: distribution cleanup

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:
> Hi gang,
>
> I'm now in the process of moving framework, logkit and cornerstone to
> the excalibur project (I found out I still have access :-D). When I
> finish with the SVN migration, I want to start cleaning out repositories.
>
> I plan to copy|move|symlink (still need to figure that out, the key is
> no URLs break and not too much bandwidth strain on the mirrors) the
> _most recent_ excalibur-* *fortress* *framework* materials over to the
> /dist/excalibur location. Most recent means only the latest release of
> everything.
>
> I suggest removing all other versions of all those packages (ie cd
> /www/www.apache.org/dist/avalon; rm -Rf *excalibur* *framework* *logkit*
> *phoenix* *cornerstone*), and all phoenix materials, from the main
> distribution server and from all the mirrors. This means the location to
> access those packages becomes
>
>    http://archive.apache.org/
>
> (archive.apache rsyncs the dist materials but never deletes anything). I
> plan to leave all the merlin|repository|planet|etc stuff alone.
>
> thoughts?

For the moment, as Stephen suggeted, let's leave everything in place and
only copy content over to the Excalibur repository.  Nothing should be
deleted until after Avalon is closed and even then, we should give some
time for things to settle.  There's no reason to hurry in deleting content.

jaaron

Re: distribution cleanup

Posted by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>.
Stephen McConnell wrote:
>>thoughts?
>
> Strong request that you do *not* remove *any* content (but feel free to
> copy whatever you like).

ok. I'm more than happy to leave it to others to clean up :-D

cheers,

-LSD

Re: distribution cleanup

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> [...]

Agreed.

Copy all you want, but don't break any more URLs.

--
Stefano.

RE: distribution cleanup

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.