Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2013/09/15 20:44:30 UTC

FOSDEM 2014 devroom proposal: Apache OpenOffice

(sent on behalf of the Apache OpenOffice PMC: http://s.apache.org/9hx )

* Devroom name:

Apache OpenOffice

* Description

Apache OpenOffice, formerly known as OpenOffice.org, is one of the most
popular Free and Open Source software projects. A Top Level Project at
the Apache Software Foundation since October 2012, OpenOffice had a
new major release, version 4.0, in July 2013, and more than 50 million
downloads in the last 12 months. OpenOffice is developed by a large and
diverse community, including full-time and part-time core developers,
translators, testers, user experience experts, documentation
contributors, developers of third-party extensions and templates.

* Project URLs
- http://www.openoffice.org
- http://openoffice.apache.org

* Preferred day: Saturday or Sunday
- Saturday

* Why should FOSDEM accept this proposal?

The OpenOffice project is now back to a regular release schedule, is
attracting new volunteers and is now able to successfully engage them,
also by participating in programs like Google's Summer of Code.

An Apache OpenOffice devroom would allow existing volunteers to meet
and discuss future developments, and users and potential new volunteers
to learn how they can help the project, thanks to presentations and
hacking sessions spanning a broad range of topics.

Topics that may be interesting for FOSDEM 2014 include: the new user
interface, the Sidebar, and the possibilities it offers to developers;
the new localization process; the automated testing framework; progress
towards a more modern build system.

The Apache OpenOffice project is willing to consider a possible
suggestion by the organizers for a joint "ODF editors" devroom,
dedicated to Apache OpenOffice and to the other Free and Open Source
editors using OpenDocument as their native format.

Best regards,
   Andrea Pescetti - Apache OpenOffice PMC.

Re: [FOSDEM-Devrooms] FOSDEM 2014 devroom proposal: Apache OpenOffice

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Drew Jensen wrote:
> Of course I will offer to help produce materials as needed

Yes, please! By the way, materials are for the booth/stand. The FOSDEM
organizers decided to merge the two sessions rooms into one, but booths
will be separate (and will run for two days, while the sessions will
only be one day).

Michael and Mechtilde already asked for a dedicated booth, and FOSDEM
organizers will let us know in the coming weeks whether the request is
accepted.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: [FOSDEM-Devrooms] FOSDEM 2014 devroom proposal: Apache OpenOffice

Posted by Drew Jensen <dr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I understand, and in the general think sharing a room like that would be
for the better. I only think that in the particular here the old warning
that 'familiarity breeds contempt' is apropos. Anyway, I have no
expectation that I could convince both organizations to respectfully
decline the offer and abstain from attending though I firmly believe that
would be best, so I'll make no more mention of it.

Of course I will offer to help produce materials as needed and hope for the
best.

//drew

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Drew Jensen <dr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Philip Paeps <ph...@fosdem.org>.
On 2013-09-15 20:53:48 (+0200), Philip Paeps <ph...@fosdem.org> wrote:
> On 2013-09-15 20:44:30 (+0200), Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:
> > (sent on behalf of the Apache OpenOffice PMC: http://s.apache.org/9hx )
> >
> > * Devroom name:
> >
> > Apache OpenOffice
>
> ACK from devrooms@fosdem.org.  Your proposal arrived safely and it looks
> complete.  We'll be in touch in due course to let you know if we accept
> it.

We received a broadly similar proposal to yours from the LibreOffice
crowd and decided to merge both of you into an "open document editors"
developer room, where you can collaborate and share ideas.

We will subscribe you to the devroom-managers mailing list where we'll
post more information in the next couple of days about sending calls for
participation and managing proposals with Pentabarf.

We'll also put you in touch with the LibreOffice crowd.

Best wishes.
Philip

--
Philip Paeps
Senior Reality Engineer

Re: [FOSDEM-Devrooms] FOSDEM 2014 devroom proposal: Apache OpenOffice

Posted by Philip Paeps <ph...@fosdem.org>.