Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by yongke <yo...@hotmail.com> on 2010/04/14 16:54:52 UTC

How do I filter out phishing email?

Hi guys

Is there anyway to filter out phishing emails using spam assassin?  My
current test email wasn't blocked and SA had a score 0f 0:

From: "Harold johnson" <gl...@aol.com>
Sender: globalskyinc@aol.com
To: globalskyinc@aol.com
Subject: Hello - Reply asap.,

Hello,=20
=20
This is an awareness to let you know that we have a vacancy post of a Custo=
mer evaluator in our company and we would like to know your interest in wor=
king for Globalsky Inc Company. We are outsourcing for a new company and we=
 have clients we are working with as regard's giving a better service to th=
eir customers.=20
=20
Mystery shopping is a valuable customer service tool that has gained widesp=
read acceptance in the retail, financial services and restaurant industries=
, and proves highly valuable to companies that use it to gain customer expe=
rience metrics. You will be evaluating the efficiency of a prominent money =
transfer services preferably westernunion  or moneygram outlet in your neig=
hborhood as regards sending and receiving money transfers. Kindly check out=
 for one a store outlet you would like to evaluate, make sure the store and=
 the outlet you choose are close to your area as much as possible, you will=
 have to email the name and address of the location to us. Please note that=
 you are to act Cool,Calm and Confident through out the period which you wi=
ll be carrying out your survey at the store, in order not to arouse any sus=
picion. You would make use of their service by sending us a money transfer =
via their outlet with the funds we would provide for you.=20
=20
You will write a report about the customer services, you will send your rep=
ort back to us via Email, you will have to use the following pointers to pr=
epare your report:=20
=20
1) How long it took you to get services.=20
2) Ambiance/Outlook of the Shop/Outlet=20
3) Smartness of the attendant=20
4) Customer service professionalism=20
5) Reaction of personnel under pressure=20
6) Information that you think would be helpful=20
7) Your comments and impressions.=20
=20
Your job would be quite effective and we would provide more details on the =
job as soon as you get back to us with the details requested. As a mystery =
shopper, you work and shop together for pleasure and the pay is 200.00 USD =
weekly on Part-time basis, you only work once or twice in a week. Payments =
will be mailed out to you per task, which you will expend in carrying out a=
ll that will be required of you including your Compensation and Transportat=
ion fee. All Other Instructions will be sent out to you as soon as Evaluati=
on commences=20
=20
Kindly provide the below information for assessment and registratration if =
you are interested.=20
=20
Full Name
Address (Not P.O.Box )
City
State
Zip-Code
Phone Number
Present occupation
Age and Sex :
=20
I will be looking forward to hearing from you.=20
=20
Thank you=20
Survey Team
Global Sky inc
206-350-5956

Company | p.o.box 234  | malibu | CA | 90393 | US

Re: How do I filter out phishing email?

Posted by Bowie Bailey <Bo...@BUC.com>.
yongke wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> Is there anyway to filter out phishing emails using spam assassin?
> My current test email wasn't blocked and SA had a score 0f 0:
>
> [ Wire transfer scam email ]

This is a fairly innocuous email.  There is not much there to key on.

You could try adding rules for things like "money transfer", "Globalsky
Inc", "westernunion", "moneygram", or maybe the phone number provided at
the end.

--
Bowie

Re: How do I filter out phishing email?

Posted by Alex <my...@gmail.com>.
>> Still the same result :(
>>

> Clueless here, can't figure out anything...

Jari, it's okay. It'll get better. Is there someone you can talk to about that?

:-)

Best,
Alex

Re: How do I filter out phishing email?

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.
On 14.4.2010 21:38, yongke wrote:

> I don't think I am running compiled rules as I haven't changed any rules... I
> just used that channel thing.  I have also restarted SA using the following
> command:
>
> sudo /etc/init.d/spamassassin restart
>
> Still the same result :(

Clueless here, can't figure out anything...

--
http://www.iki.fi/jarif/

Q:	How many IBM 370's does it take to execute a job?
A:	Four, three to hold it down, and one to rip its head off.

Re: How do I filter out phishing email?

Posted by yongke <yo...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Daniel J McDonald <da...@austinenergy.com>.
On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 11:18 -0700, yongke wrote:
> I installed all the channels in your post but I still get the same score!  Is
> there anything else I can do?

Are you running with compiled rules?  Then you need to recompile them.

Are you running a daemonized spamd or amavisd instance?  You will need
to restart it to load the new rules....

>  The commands I used are:
[...]

Posted by yongke <yo...@hotmail.com>.
I installed all the channels in your post but I still get the same score!  Is
there anything else I can do?  The commands I used are:

wget -qO - http://khopesh.com/sa/GPG.KEY http://yerp.org/rules/GPG.KEY \
http://daryl.dostech.ca/sa-update/sare/GPG.KEY |sudo sa-update --import -

sudo gpg --keyring sa-update-keys/pubring.gpg --list-public-keys

sudo pico sa-update-keys.txt
856AA88A
6C6191E3
E8B493D6

sudo pico sa-update-channels.txt
updates.spamassassin.org
khop-bl.sa.khopesh.com
khop-blessed.sa.khopesh.com
khop-general.sa.khopesh.com
khop-sc-neighbors.sa.khopesh.com
sought.rules.yerp.org
90_2tld.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net

Posted by yongke <yo...@hotmail.com>.
Oh sorry, disregard my last reply.  I looked it up on Google and found the
FAQ on channel.

Posted by Micah Anderson <mi...@riseup.net>.
Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi> writes:

> On 14.4.2010 18:57, yongke wrote:
>>
>> Well, we send emails on behalf of clients, and so we are trying catch
>> phishing spam before they are sent out.  Since the email aren't sent yet, we
>> had to generate a mock email for SA.  The header in the example is what we
>> THINK the headers will be when they are actually sent out.
>>
>> When you tried it with your SA, I assume you didn't change any headers?  If
>> that's the case, then it should still work.  I guess I didn't setup SA
>> correctly?
>>

> I did not change anything. And I think I have pretty default scores on
> the rules.
>
> I have following rule sets in my channels:
>

> 90_2tld.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net

In a previous thread[0], it was mentioned that you should not be using the
above channel (or 90_3tld.cf) because these files have been merged into
3.3.1 and are released as 20_aux_tlds.cf

micah

0. http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.mail.spam.spamassassin.general/127703

Re: How do I filter out phishing email?

Posted by yongke <yo...@hotmail.com>.
I am sorry, can you please explain what do you mean by "channels"?  I haven't
changed anything at all from the install.  The default ruleset is the one I
use and my command is this:

spamc -R < foo

where foo is the file with the email I posted.

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.

Posted by yongke <yo...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.
On 14.4.2010 17:54, yongke wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> Is there anyway to filter out phishing emails using spam assassin?  My
> current test email wasn't blocked and SA had a score 0f 0:

You sample was not a real email with all headers, or so it looked.

However, I sent to my SA, and here is the result.

 pts rule name              description
---- ----------------------
 0.0 FREEMAIL_FROM          Sender email is freemail
(globalskyinc[at]aol.com)
-0.0 NO_RELAYS              Informational: message was not relayed via SMTP
 3.4 FILL_THIS_FORM_LONG    BODY: Fill in a form with personal information
 0.2 BAYES_50               BODY: Bayes spam probability is 40 to 60%
                            [score: 0.5016]
 3.0 FROM_EQUALS_TO         From: and To: have the same username
 0.0 T_FILL_THIS_FORM       Fill in a form with personal information
-0.0 NO_RECEIVED            Informational: message has no Received headers
 1.4 MISSING_DATE           Missing Date: header
 3.0 AE_DETAILS_WITH_MONEY  Has form and mentions much money
 0.0 T_TO_NO_BRKTS_FREEMAIL T_TO_NO_BRKTS_FREEMAIL

So it would have been caught here.

But yes, there were no Received: -headers and other important headers,
so the result is not much good.

Have you trained youe Bayes and made sa-update after installation?

--
http://www.iki.fi/jarif/

Q:	What is orange and goes "click, click?"
A:	A ball point carrot.

Re: How do I filter out phishing email?

Posted by yongke <yo...@hotmail.com>.
Sorry, I'll stop that from now on.

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On fre 16 apr 2010 15:19:59 CEST, John Hardin wrote

> Fix your glue to bypass SA on list-id and received.

when i need it i will, maillists that talk about spam also have ham so
not a big problem for me to not fix it :=)

--
xpoint http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html

Re: How do I filter out phishing email?

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010, Benny Pedersen wrote:

> On ons 14 apr 2010 23:28:38 CEST, John Hardin wrote
>> > Please do not post spammy mail to the list (it "poisons" our Bayes with
>> > spammy tokens with hammy score).
>>
>> If you're running SA list emails through SA you deserve what you get. :)
>
> for sa 3.3.2 bayes_ignore_on_dkim_valid ? :)
>
> bayes_ignore_to can be forged, same can dkim, ok i loose :=)

Fix your glue to bypass SA on list-id and received.

   Our government should bear in mind the fact that the American
   Revolution was touched off by the then-current government
   attempting to confiscate firearms from the people.
  3 days until the 235th anniversary of The Shot Heard 'Round The World

Re: How do I filter out phishing email?

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010, Jari Fredriksson wrote:

> Please do not post spammy mail to the list (it "poisons" our Bayes with
> spammy tokens with hammy score).

If you're running SA list emails through SA you deserve what you get. :)

   When I say "I don't want the government to do X", do not
   automatically assume that means I don't want X to happen.
  Today: the 145th anniversary of Lincoln's assassination

Re: How do I filter out phishing email?

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.
On 15.4.2010 0:32, John Hardin wrote:

> A mailing list about spam detection shouldn't discuss actual samples of
> spam to detect?

Of course it should.

> The primary reason for posting samples to pastebin et all is to prevent
> the mangling that sending them through the mail will inevitably cause.

Sure.

--
http://www.iki.fi/jarif/

You dialed 5483.

Re: How do I filter out phishing email?

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.

Posted by d....@yournetplus.com.
Quoting Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>:

> On 14.4.2010 19:57, d.hill@yournetplus.com wrote:
>> Quoting Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>:
>>
>>> Please do not post spammy mail to the list (it "poisons" our Bayes with
>>> spammy tokens with hammy score).
>>
>> Why are you scanning messages to the SA list? I do not for your reasoning.
>>

> Because currently I want to.
>
> I have a mechanism to skip mailing lists, any mailing list, and I used
> to use it earlier. But currently I do scan those, just to get data for
> AWL and bayes hammy tokens.

Understandable. All messages from the SA list should be hammy. I can't
rightfully recall when a spam message came through to the SA list. I
can't recall when a spam message came through to any list I'm on.
There have been a few in the very distant past.

Re: How do I filter out phishing email?

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.
On 14.4.2010 19:57, d.hill@yournetplus.com wrote:
> Quoting Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>:
>
>> Please do not post spammy mail to the list (it "poisons" our Bayes with
>> spammy tokens with hammy score).
>
> Why are you scanning messages to the SA list? I do not for your reasoning.

Because currently I want to.

I have a mechanism to skip mailing lists, any mailing list, and I used
to use it earlier. But currently I do scan those, just to get data for
AWL and bayes hammy tokens.

--
http://www.iki.fi/jarif/

Q:	Where's the Lone Ranger take his garbage?
A:	To the dump, to the dump, to the dump dump dump!

Q:	What's the Pink Panther say when he steps on an ant hill?
A:	Dead ant, dead ant, dead ant dead ant dead ant...

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.