Posted to dev@helix.apache.org by Brent <br...@gmail.com> on 2021/12/10 18:32:50 UTC

Log4J

[Feel free to take this offline or out-of-band if this is an inappropriate
place to discuss this]

Is there any hotfixing planned as a result of the Log4J zero day going
around?

Reference: https://www.lunasec.io/docs/blog/log4j-zero-day/
CVE: https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2021-44228

From what I can tell, Helix seems to be building with
https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.slf4j/slf4j-log4j12/1.7.14 which in
turn maps to https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/log4j/log4j/1.2.17

The exploit is more prevalent in the 2.x versions of Log4J, but there are
scenarios where 1.x is exploitable and it's been pointed out that 1.x is
also end of life and has other vulnerabilities.

See:
https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/pull/608#issuecomment-990494126

Thanks!

~Brent

Re: Log4J

Posted by Brent <br...@gmail.com>.
That's fair.  I understand holding off on the v1.0.3 release.  I'll just
need to custom build myself a Log4j-patched version to use in the meantime.

Let me know if I can help at all in getting the PR merge into master.

Thanks very much and I hope you all have a great holiday season!

~Brent

Re: Log4J

Posted by Junkai Xue <ju...@gmail.com>.

--