Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Carl Owen <co...@riverdeep.net> on 2001/12/04 17:32:19 UTC

cache-control

Hi,

I have Apache running as a service on a Windows 98 server. I'm trying to use
cache-control to determine how my pages will be dealt with on the client. I
want to use the following:

Cache-Control: max-age=3600, must-revalidate

but even though I've loaded both the "expires" and "headers" modules
(uncommented the relevant LoadModule lines in httpd.conf), this
does not work (i.e. I've included this line at the end of the "httpd.conf"
file and I get the error "Invalid command: Cache-Control").

If I simply use the "ExpiresActive" and "ExpiresDefault" directives then I
can get an expiry date on my files but I really need "Cache-Control" in
order to get the "must-revalidate" functionality (i.e. an expiry date is not
sufficient).

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? I can't seem to find any
reference to this in the apache documentation.

thanks,

Carl

Dr. Carl Owen
Project Manager, Riverdeep Interactive Learning Ltd.,
3rd floor, Styne House, Upper hatch Street, Dublin 2
Ph:   353 1 2416523
Fax: 353 1 6707626

RE: cache-control

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
> From: Carl Owen [mailto:cowen@riverdeep.net]

> Cache-Control: max-age=3600, must-revalidate
>
> but even though I've loaded both the "expires" and "headers" modules
> (uncommented the relevant LoadModule lines in httpd.conf), this
> does not work (i.e. I've included this line at the end of the "httpd.conf"
> file and I get the error "Invalid command: Cache-Control").

Please see
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_headers.html

You can't simply type the header into httpd.conf.  You need to add something
like
Header set Cache-Control "max-age=3600, must-revalidate"

Joshua.