Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2008/03/03 17:26:36 UTC

[Legal Wiki] Update of "3party/notice/discuss" by SebastianBazley

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Legal Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by SebastianBazley:
http://wiki.apache.org/legal/3party/notice/discuss

The comment on the change is:
What is [yyyy] in NOTICE file?

      * [!SamRuby] Seems like something that one would expect to find in a README
     * Where an Apache project has multiple modules which are also distributed in separate files, do the N&L files need to be tailored for the individual items, or can the same N&L files be used for all modules? For example, there may be some code in module A that requires an attribution, but module B does not have the code: can module B use the same N&L files?
      * [!SamRuby] I'm not sure I understand this question.  One distribution, multiple files, one set of NOTICE, LICENSE, and README files. [!SebastianBazley] I was thinking of projects which distribute archives containing multiple jars. The jars may also be distributed independently (e.g. via Maven repositories), so presumably need N & L files too. Or some projects may have multiple archives which include different combinations of files - perhaps one which contains everything, and others which contain different subsets.
+  * The NOTICE file also contains the line {{{Copyright [yyyy] The Apache Software Foundation}}}. What are the rules for {{{[yyyy]}}}? Is it only supposed to be the year of release? Originally when the copyright years were in the source files, I believe the rule was that the year was supposed to be updated every time there was a substantial (copyrightable) change.

  [!HenriYandell] Comments
   * Should we provide a 'how to do attribution' section against NOTICEs for each license? I'm thinking of the recent discussion on CPL and how it should provide a link to the original homepage.