Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by Glenn Macgregor <gm...@pocketkings.ie> on 2009/04/07 11:53:06 UTC

Components vs Specs

Hi All,

Looking at the source I see the components which seem to be osgi features, is that correct?

I also see a directory called specs, what is the point of these?

Thanks

 Glenn

Re: Components vs Specs

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
Glenn,

The components folder contains our JBI components like
servicemix-file, servicemix-cxf-se, ...  The projects are used for
building the plain JBI component installer archives, but all our
components are also OSGi-enabled so you can just deploy them as a
bundle in an OSGi container.

The specs project contains all kinds of Java specifications (typically
things that have JSR-xxx number like the Activation API, JBI API,
...).  We provide bundles for the specifications so we can use them in
an OSGi container (like our own ServiceMix Kernel).  Some of them just
add the OSGi metadata to the MANIFEST.MF, but others also have an
additional bundle activator to ease the discovery of new
implementations for the spec at runtime.  Have a look at this blog
post by Guillaume [1] for a bit of background.

Regards,

Gert Vanthienen
Open Source SOA: http://fusesource.com

[1] http://gnodet.blogspot.com/2008/05/jee-specs-in-osgi.html