Posted to dev@daffodil.apache.org by Mike Beckerle <mb...@apache.org> on 2021/12/16 21:02:30 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Daffodil 3.2.1 (Urgent Patch Release)

Hi all,

I'd like to call a vote to release Apache Daffodil 3.2.1 and to do so
with an abbreviated approval cycle (to be used only for urgent patch
releases).

Your vote covers the release as usual, but also due to the urgency of
this patch release, you are also voting on these 4 deltas from our more
usual release process:

* You agree the patch release is urgent and this abbreviated approval
  cycle is warranted and appropriate.

* The DISCUSS email thread will be superceded by this VOTE thread.

* Shortened 48 hours of work-day time for lazy consensus on the VOTE

* A minimum of three +1 and zero -1 binding votes are needed

For a summary of the changes in this release, see the release notes page:

https://daffodil.apache.org/releases/3.2.1/

All distribution packages, including signatures, digests, etc. can be found at:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/daffodil/3.2.1-rc1/

Staging artifacts can be found at:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachedaffodil-1026/

This release has been signed with PGP key 274B8F1413A680AF, corresponding
to mbeckerle@apache.org, which is included in the KEYS file here:

https://downloads.apache.org/daffodil/KEYS

The release candidate has been tagged in git with v3.2.1-rc1.

For reference, here is a list of all closed JIRAs tagged with 3.2.1:

https://s.apache.org/daffodil-issues-3.2.1

Please review and vote.

Per the abbreviated process, the vote will be open for 48 hours.
(Until Monday 20 December 2021 17:00 EST.US).

[ ] +1 approve the release, and this abbreviated release process
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove of the release, or of this abbreviated release
       process (and reason why)

[RESULT] [VOTE] Release Apache Daffodil 3.2.1 (Urgent Patch Release) (RC2)

Posted by Mike Beckerle <mb...@apache.org>.
The vote passes with 4 +1 votes and no -1 votes.

Vote thread: https://lists.apache.org/thread/dclp867j38ttqtbtmtvmwokoyslnh59j

Thanks to all who evaluated the release candidate and voted.

I will now continue to finalize the release.

RE: [VOTE] Release Apache Daffodil 3.2.1 (Urgent Patch Release) (RC2)

Posted by Mike Beckerle <mb...@apache.org>.
+1

I repeated all the same tests I did for rc1.
I ran a script that downloads all the artifacts and checks the hashes.
I verified that 61 DFDL schemas still pass all their tests, which
includes PCAP and EthernetIP which compute IPv4 packet checksums.
I verified that 13 DFDL schemas still run on IBM DFDL, which verifies
that 3.2.1-rc2 works properly with the IBM cross-test rig, and the
schemas remain portable DFDL.

Posted by Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

I did slightly different verification than I normally do due to the very
minor differences with rc2. I checked:

[OK] hashes and signatures of source and helper binaries are correct
[OK] signature of git tag is correct
[OK] source release matches git tag (minus KEYS file)
[OK] source release is exactly the same as rc1, except for log4j dep
[OK] helper binaries are exactly the same as rc1, except for log4j jar
[OK] source compiles and all tests pass
[OK] rpm and msi install and run with basic usage
[OK] ~60 public and private DFDL schema projects pass tests
[OK] no open CVE's found using sbt-dependency-check plugin

Posted by "Interrante, John A (GE Research, US)" <Jo...@ge.com>.
I'm on vacation, so I'm unable to check rc2 at this time.  However, here's my +1 if no one else offers a third +1 since the only difference in rc2 should be a newer log4j jar than all the jars that were in rc1.

John

[CANCELLED] [VOTE] Release Apache Daffodil 3.2.1 (Urgent Patch Release)

Posted by Mike Beckerle <mb...@apache.org>.
Changing my vote to -1 binding, which ends this VOTE under the
abbreviated consensus plan that's part of the vote.

Half the reason for this release was the Log4J dependency CVE.

I don't want to explain to people "which CVE" is fixed and which isn't
and why the DoS is less of a concern, etc.

I will create rc2 with newer Log4J and we'll start a new VOTE.

This VOTE thread:
https://lists.apache.org/thread/dxhyfnv67d1dk0ychqy15km3mcs6rov1

-MikeB

Posted by Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mike Beckerle <mb...@apache.org>.
I could go either way on this.

Posted by Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steve Lawrence <sl...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

I checked:

[OK] hashes and signatures of source and helper binaries are correct
[OK] signature of git tag is correct
[OK] source release matches git tag (minus KEYS file)
[OK] source compiles and all tests pass (both en_US and de_DE) (minor
exception with DAFFODIL-2612 and -2599)
[OK] helper tgz/zip/msi/rpm all contain the same content except where
expected
[OK] jars in helper binaries and the repository are exactly the same
[OK] jars built from source are exactly the same as helper binary jars
[OK] distributed dependencies in helper binaries are same as from maven
[OK] src, binaries, and jars include correct LICENSE/NOTICE
[OK] RAT check passes
[OK] no unexpected binaries in source
[OK] rpm and msi install and run with basic usage
[OK] ~60 public and private DFDL schema projects pass tests
[OK] No issues found in JavaDoc and ScalaDoc
[OK] Verified Log4j and JDOM2 jars are correct versions without CVE's

Posted by Mike Beckerle <mb...@apache.org>.
My vote +1 binding

I bulk fetched all the files from the repository.apache.org server,
then verified all GPG signatures, and all MD5 and SHA1 checksums.
(output in checks.out.txt which is attached)

I ran built-in-self-tests of 61 DFDL schemas, including one that uses
a UDF (user defined function).

This also includes the latest PCAP schema which depends on the
EthernetIP schema which uses the new layering feature where IPv4
checksums can be computed on parse, and recomputed on unparse.

I had to update all build.sbt files to specify scalaVersion :=
"2.12.15", as I was testing using Java 17.

I ran built-in-self-tests of 13 Portable DFDL schemas against IBM DFDL
(to insure cross-testing rig works with Daffodil 3.2.1)

Posted by "Interrante, John A (GE Research, US)" <Jo...@ge.com>.
+1 (binding)

Tested on Ubuntu 20.04.3 with OpenJDK 11.0.13+8, SBT 1.5.7, gcc 9.3.0, libmxml-dev 3.1

John

[OK] Downloaded both apache-daffodil-3.2.0-bin.zip and apache-daffodil-3.2.1-bin.zip
[OK] Verified signatures against KEYS and signatures have Apache email addresses
[OK] Unpacked and diff'ed both apache-daffodil-3.2.0-bin apache-daffodil-3.2.1-bin
[OK] Verified only differences are newer versions of daffodil jars and some library jars
[OK] Verified geny, os-lib, log4j-api, log4j-core, jdom2 jars bumped to most recently released versions

[OK] Downloaded apache-daffodil-3.2.1-src.zip
[OK] Verified signature against KEYS and signature has Apache email address
[OK] Unpacked and built apache-daffodil-3.2.1-src (sbt compile test IntegrationTest/test daffodil-cli/stage ratCheck)
[OK] Verified all files compile and all tests pass
[OK] Verified daffodil-cli/universal/stage is nearly identical to apache-daffodil-3.2.1-bin (only 4 classes were not identical bit-for-bit)