Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Fournier,Danny [NCR]" <Da...@ec.gc.ca> on 2007/06/05 15:10:31 UTC

http vs file

I'm just wondering the pros and cons of using http vs file.

So far, I've been using the file approach. That has been positive for me
so far.

However, I might start a project with a collegue that will need access
to the repository remotely. We're using Hamachi to bridge our connection
and we are able to share documents via shares on our PCs through the
Hamachi connection.

I was thinking creating a share on my webserver (Win2k3, IIS, SQL 2005),
share the repository and dev folders and have him access them through
Hamachi using the file approach. Another idea I read about was
installing Apache on the webserver, having it run on a different port
and have us access the repository that way.

1. Would using http make the Subversion process faster? Checkout,
commits, ect...?
2. Is authorization the main attraction of using Apache for repository
access (compared to using file)?

Any insight (or link) would be appreciated. The best site I've found so
far:
http://svn.spears.at/

Thanks,

Dan

RE: Re: RE: http vs file

Posted by "Fournier,Danny [NCR]" <Da...@ec.gc.ca>.

Sort of. We have VSS in house, I've just yet to receive any info on
how/when/where to use it. I prefer SVN's workflow to be honest.

And just like any other IT shop, this one has its set of tools and
people that maintain it. SVN and I aren't part of it ;)

Dan

RE: RE: http vs file

Posted by Robert Graf-Waczenski <rg...@lsoft.com>.
I'd vote against using svn+ssh without reason. I have setup this in our
environment here and can say that it is *a lot* slower than plain svn
(this is due to architectural reasons: each svn command is tunneled
through SSH and causes an svnservice command to be executed).
Yes, you no longer need the svnserve service. But instead of this you
need an SSH implementation for your OS which, for Windows, in most
cases also means a new service to be maintained, so you are back to
square one in your struggle with the admins.

On Linux/Un*x the scenario is different because many distros ship with an
SSH server daemon preconfigured, so you don't have to introduce a new
daemon.

Robert

Re: RE: http vs file

Posted by Rick Yorgason <ri...@ldagames.com>.

Re: http vs file

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jun 5, 2007, at 12:08, Fournier,Danny [NCR] wrote:

> Yikes. At some point, we were 4 using the file:/// approach.
>
> What's a guy to do in a corporate environment where getting Apache or
> SVNServe installed is impossible? I suppose I could get a SVN Hosting
> package. This is why I opted for the file:/// approach. Installing
> SVNServe on my laptop is not such a good idea since sometimes the
> repository wouldn't be available (on location, teleworking, ect...)
>
> I think we have VSS here but nobody here knows how to use it - at
> least,
> not to my knowledge.

Get a different corporate environment. I mean, really, your company's
IT department is there to set up and maintain the infrastructure you
need to get your job done. If you need to use Subversion in a team,
then they need to set up apache2 or svnserve on a reliable server. If
they refuse to do it, then your company is broken. :-/

RE: http vs file

IMO you should only use file:// if you are the only one using the repo
and its only for testing something either use apache + mod_dav_svn  or
svnserve - the latter probably being easier

Re: http vs file

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 6/5/07, marc gonzalez-carnicer <ca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree with Ryan. svn under http can only be easier to install than
> svnserve if you are already an apache admin.
>
> i said it was easier assuming you have never done any of them, as
> was my case.

It can also be easier to slide into a Windows shop that's wary of new,
non-MS stuff being installed. Compare "you want me to do what to
install this service?" to "Apache? Yeah, we heard of that, you can
install that."

Re: http vs file

Posted by marc gonzalez-carnicer <ca...@gmail.com>.

Re: http vs file

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Re: http vs file

Posted by Sheryl <gu...@his.com>.
> 2007/6/5, Matt Sickler <cr...@gmail.com>:
>
>> either use apache + mod_dav_svn  or svnserve - the latter probably being
>> easier
>
> svnserve is much, much easier than apache to setup (at least under linux)

I didn't find it so, and I like being able to use websvn.  Different strokes.

Sheryl

Re: http vs file

Posted by marc gonzalez-carnicer <ca...@gmail.com>.

Re: http vs file

Posted by Matt Sickler <cr...@gmail.com>.
file:///  = DONT

Re: http vs file

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 6/5/07, Fournier,Danny [NCR] <Da...@ec.gc.ca> wrote:
> I'm just wondering the pros and cons of using http vs file.
>
> So far, I've been using the file approach. That has been positive for me
> so far.
>
> However, I might start a project with a collegue that will need access
> to the repository remotely. We're using Hamachi to bridge our connection
> and we are able to share documents via shares on our PCs through the
> Hamachi connection.
>
> I was thinking creating a share on my webserver (Win2k3, IIS, SQL 2005),
> share the repository and dev folders and have him access them through
> Hamachi using the file approach. Another idea I read about was
> installing Apache on the webserver, having it run on a different port
> and have us access the repository that way.

Yes, install Apache.

> 1. Would using http make the Subversion process faster? Checkout,
> commits, ect...?

No, it'll likely be slower. All other things being equal file:/// is
usually fastest, then svn://, then http://

> 2. Is authorization the main attraction of using Apache for repository
> access (compared to using file)?

Authentication/Authorization is one benefit, the ability to work
without needing drive mappings, or opening extra firewall ports
another, the ability to properly use hook scripts another, the option
for secure connections w/ client certificates (HTTPS) yet another.

file:/// is really best suited for a single developer working locally,
and for testing/debugging. Once you move beyond one person and
distributed access, you really ought to have Apache or svnserve.

Re: http vs file

Posted by david x callaway <dx...@pobox.com>.
the advantage to setting up apache in the first place is scaling is then
simple, no having to redo your repos later, etc.  when I set up apache
on linux (fedora core 6) the *only* issue I had was I decided to be
stubborn and use selinux, which made making hooks work rather obscure.
if you want my notes send me an email or post and if I see it I'll
return them.

dxc

RE: http vs file

Posted by Thomas Hemmer <th...@go-engineering.de>.