Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Musall Maik <ma...@selbstdenker.ag> on 2016/08/03 18:53:14 UTC

EOModel importer testing

Hi all,

I've got a rather large project to migrate from EOF to Cayenne, and in order to eliminate the manual cleanup steps I'd have to do after each conversion attempt until I'm ready for the final run, I thought I could have a look and try to improve the EOModel importer instead of wasting time fiddling with my one project.

To that end, what is the usual procedure to test changes made against the modeler? Can I run it from within Eclipse? Or do I need to mvn install every time I changed something? (Note that I'm new to both Cayenne and Maven.)

How am I supposed to contribute the changes? Pull request against the github mirror? The website [1] suggest submitting a patch, but that feels so old-school, and the website still explains how to create a patch with subversion, so I guess that's no longer up to date anyway?

Thanks
Maik

[1] https://cayenne.apache.org/submit-patch.html

Re: EOModel importer testing

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.
On 4/08/2016 4:53am, Musall Maik wrote:
> How am I supposed to contribute the changes? Pull request against the github mirror? The website [1] suggest submitting a patch, but that feels so old-school, and the website still explains how to create a patch with subversion, so I guess that's no longer up to date anyway?

Thanks for the heads up. I fixed that page to point to git and github.

http://cayenne.apache.org/how-can-i-help.html

Ari

--
-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Re: EOModel importer testing

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Hi Maik,

Glad to hear you are finally trying out Cayenne! :)

>> To that end, what is the usual procedure to test changes made against the
>> modeler? Can I run it from within Eclipse? Or do I need to mvn install
>> every time I changed something? (Note that I'm new to both Cayenne and
>> Maven.)

Yes, you can run Modeler from Eclipse without reassembly. Just use the cross-platform Main class (org.apache.cayenne.modeler.Main). There are no special arguments or any other tricks.

Andrus

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
While I don't have any EOModels to test this, the code looks great to me. In fact I just applied to PR.

Andrus

Posted by Musall Maik <ma...@selbstdenker.ag>.
All right,

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Musall Maik <ma...@selbstdenker.ag>.

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.

Posted by Musall Maik <ma...@selbstdenker.ag>.
Hi John,

I tried the reverse-engineering first, but as the database is case insensitive regarding names, almost all entities and attributes came out without the camel casing that I use in the project. Correcting that by hand for 169 entities with a huge number of attributes isn't an option, so I tried the EOModel import. I only use two enum prototypes, both of which aren't Wonder prototypes, so that left far less stuff to clean up.

Posted by John Huss <jo...@gmail.com>.