Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Greg Willits <li...@gregwillits.ws> on 2008/04/13 02:51:46 UTC

Editing Log Entry is Failing

I have found several how-to's, but my attemps are still failing to
change an existing commit message.

OS X 10.5, built-in svn (1.4.4)

Following this and several blogs with similar commentary
	http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#change-log-msg

I get this error message:

	pre-revprop-change' hook failed with error output:

but there's no other description of the error.

Steps I've followed:

I found the /{repo}/hooks/pre-revprop-change.tmpl file, and I removed
the .tmpl extension. The owner of that script file is the same as the
user under which svnserve is running.

Example command I'm trying:

svn propset -r 50 --revprop svn:log "...my_new_msg..." svn://
home.srvr/path_to/trunk/

and

svn propedit -r 50 --revprop svn:log (then using my editor)

I even went so far as to edit the hook script to have nothing in it
but exit 0 to force the return of 0.

Seems like this should be simple, but I'm missing something.

-- gw

Re: Editing Log Entry is Failing

Posted by Greg Willits <li...@gregwillits.ws>.
Egads -- script was not set to executable. Should have been obvious.
Thanks you!!

-- gw

On Apr 13, 2008, at 3:24 PM, Kevin Grover wrote:
> Its been a while since I've done it, but these thoughts came to mind:
>
> 1) did you set the hook script to executable?
> 2) revprops are unique by revision, so maybe your url needs to be:
> svn://home.srvr/path_to/repo/ ( vice what you wrote:
> svn://home.srvr/path_to/trunk/) ?
>

> On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 7:51 PM, Greg Willits
> <li...@gregwillits.ws> wrote:
>> I have found several how-to's, but my attemps are still failing to
>> change an
>> existing commit message.
>>
>>  OS X 10.5, built-in svn (1.4.4)
>>
>>  Following this and several blogs with similar commentary
>>         http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#change-log-msg
>>
>>  I get this error message:
>>
>>         pre-revprop-change' hook failed with error output:
>>
>>  but there's no other description of the error.
>>
>>  Steps I've followed:
>>
>>  I found the /{repo}/hooks/pre-revprop-change.tmpl file, and I
>> removed the
>> .tmpl extension. The owner of that script file is the same as the
>> user under
>> which svnserve is running.
>>
>>  Example command I'm trying:
>>
>>  svn propset -r 50 --revprop svn:log "...my_new_msg..."
>> svn://home.srvr/path_to/trunk/
>>
>>  and
>>
>>  svn propedit -r 50 --revprop svn:log (then using my editor)
>>
>>  I even went so far as to edit the hook script to have nothing in
>> it but
>> exit 0 to force the return of 0.
>>
>>  Seems like this should be simple, but I'm missing something.
>>
>>  -- gw

def gw
   acts_as_n00b
   writes_at 'www.railsdev.ws'