Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com> on 2011/06/03 19:02:26 UTC

Feature: skipping caches and info about cache use

Hi,

Is it just me, or would others like things like:
* The ability to tell Solr (by passing some URL param?) to skip one or more of
its caches and get data from the index
* An additional attrib in the Solr response that shows whether the query came
from the cache or not

* Maybe something else along these lines?

Or maybe some of this is already there and I just don't know about it? :)

Thanks,
Otis
----

Re: Feature: skipping caches and info about cache use

Posted by pravesh <su...@yahoo.com>.
SOLR1.3+  logs only the fresh queries in the logs. If you re-run the same
query then it is served from cache, and not printed on the logs(unless
cache(s) are not warmed or sercher is reopened).

So, Otis's proposal would definitely help in doing some benchmarks &
baselining the search :)

Re: Feature: skipping caches and info about cache use

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Robert,

Mainly so that you can tell how fast the search itself is when query or
documents or filters are not cached.

Otis
----

Re: Feature: skipping caches and info about cache use

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.
On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 1:02 PM, Otis Gospodnetic
<ot...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Is it just me, or would others like things like:
> * The ability to tell Solr (by passing some URL param?) to skip one or more of
> its caches and get data from the index

Yeah, we've needed this for a long time, and I believe there's a JIRA
issue open for it.
It really needs to be on a per query basis though... so a localParam
that has cache=true/false
would be ideal.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com